Turkey : Part Tres :)

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Tres :)

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:35 am

Pro-Kurdish HDP party co-chair arrested in Ankara
Date 26.12.2016 Author Elizabeth Schumacher

Aysel Tugluk leading member of the pro-Kurdish HDP has been arrested on terrorism charges. Tugluk had been helping other arrested HDP members with their legal battles amidst a government crackdown.

Turkey's crackdown on the pro-Kurdish People's Democratic Party (HDP) showed no sign of slowing down on Monday after the arrest of Aysel Tugluk, deputy co-chair of the party. Tugluk was taken away by anti-terrorism police at her home in Ankara about a month after 10 HDP lawmakers were detained on charges of having ties to the outlawed militant group the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

According to German news agency DPA, Tugluk acted as a lawyer for jailed HDP leaders. The party claims that since parliamentary immunity was lifted earlier this year, the central government has systematically tried to destroy it through arrests and erroneous claims that it supports the PKK. The HDP has long denied any ties, though it has pressed the government to resume stalled peace talks.

Pro-government newspaper the Daily Sabah wrote that Tugluk would be sent to await trial in her home province of Diyarbakir after officials cleared her for travel. The report, citing an anonymous police source, said it was the Diyarbakır Chief Public Prosecutor's Office that launched the investigation into Tugluk's activities....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:18 am

‘FETÖ is a radical group like Daesh, Boko Haram’, President’s daughter says
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 18 hours ago

Erdoğan Bayraktar, said on Tuesday that "FETÖ is a radical group like Daesh and Boko Haram." She spoke at a meeting held in Chicago on the sidelines of the 15th Annual MAS-ICNA Convention, the largest Islamic convention in North America, which she attended as the guest of honor.

In the "July 15 and heroes resisting against coup" meeting organized by the Turkish-American National Steering Committee (TASC), Bayraktar warned that the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ) is very similar to terrorist organizations and will pose a threat to all Muslims throughout the world if significant steps are not taken against them.

Reminding the audience that past coup attempts had achieved their goals and damaged democratic institutions in Turkey, Bayraktar said "In the last coup attempt [July 15], Turkish people showed they would not let another attack, tanks on streets or coup plotters threaten them with the guns that were bought with public taxes."

She noted "In the last 15 years, Turkish people have been more interested in politics and democracy, and they stand against tutelage", adding that FETÖ is behind the July 15 attempted coup and the terror group has a distorted understanding of Islam....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:01 am

Russian official says Erdoğan right in US support for Daesh, as US embassy denies claims
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 14 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is right in claiming that the U.S. supports terrorist organizations, and there are many things proving these claims, the head of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the State Duma, the lower house of the Russian Parliament Aleksey Pushkov said on Tuesday, while the U.S. Embassy in Turkey denied claims that they support Daesh or YPG in Syria.

"Erdoğan is right, there are many things showing U.S. support for terrorist organizations. It is absurd for the State Department to claim the opposite" Puskov said on his Twitter account, shortly after Erdoğan's statements during a joint press conference with his Guinean counterpart Alpha Condé in Ankara.

"They were accusing us of supporting Daesh. Now they give support to terrorist groups including Daesh, YPG, and PYD. It's very clear. We have confirmed evidence, with pictures, photos and videos," Erdoğan said....

Snips ... In October 2015, the U.S. airdropped around 50 tons of ammo in Syria's Hasakah, but Arab opposition fighters said they have not received any of it, while YPG-affiliated PYD terror group leader Salih Muslim thanked the U.S. for the ammunition....

... The U.S. considers the YPG-dominated SDF, which is currently active in Manbij and north of Daesh's Syrian bastion Raqqa, as its "strong partner" on the ground in Syria....

Continues

**** Turkeys Euphrates Shield operation is in direct conflict with the PYD in Northern Syria near Iraq. Turkish soldiers have died there. D. *

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:10 am

Turkey and Russia have ceasefire plan for Syria, says Ankara
By Orhan Coskun and Ellen Francis | ANKARA/BEIRUT Wed Dec 28, 2016 | 7:33am EST

Turkey and Russia have prepared an agreement for a ceasefire in Syria, Turkey's foreign minister said, adding Ankara would not budge on its opposition to President Bashar al-Assad staying in power.

The comments by Mevlut Cavusoglu on Wednesday appeared to signal a tentative advance in talks aimed at reaching a truce, but the insistence that Assad must go will do little to smooth negotiations with Russia, his biggest backer.

Russia, Iran and Turkey said last week they were ready to help broker a peace deal after holding talks in Moscow where they adopted a declaration setting out the principles any agreement should adhere to....

Snip ... Last week, Russia's foreign minister said Russia, Iran and Turkey had agreed that the priority in Syria was to fight terrorism and not to remove Assad's government....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:17 am

Syrian civil war: Russia, Turkey agree ceasefire plan, says Turkish media
Dec 28, 2016 15:01 IST

Turkey and Russia have agreed a ceasefire plan for all of Syria that should come into force this evening at midnight, the state-run Anadolu news agency said on Wednesday.

The plan aims to expand a ceasefire in the city of Aleppo, brokered by Turkey and Russia earlier this month to allow the evacuation of civilians, to all of the country, it said.
Representational image. ReutersRepresentational image. Reuters
But, like previous ceasefire plans that had been brokered by the United States and Russia, it excludes "terror" groups, the agency said.

If successful, the plan will form the basis of upcoming political negotiations between the regime and opposition overseen by Russia and Turkey in the Kazakh capital Astana, it added....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:53 am

Time to Get Tough on Turkey Turkish president President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
by ADRIEL KASONTA December 27, 2016 4:00 AM

The Erdoğan government is no longer a reliable Western ally, and its behavior grows more troubling by the day. Turkey has now been a candidate for membership in the European Union longer than any other country in the history of the European integration process. It submitted its application to the European Economic Community, the EU’s predecessor, in 1987. Twelve years later, in 1999, it was formally recognized as a candidate, and six years after that, it was finally allowed to godbegin accession negotiations with the EU.

In all, then, Turkey has waited almost 30 years to be welcomed into Europe. Yet in 2016, when Ankara finally seemed on the verge of getting what it wants the most, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government, apparently frustrated with the pace of the negotiations, began openly blackmailing EU leaders, European nations, and European citizens.

Under the terms of an agreement reached in March to stem the flow of Syrian refugees to Europe, Turkey has been promised EU-visa liberalization for 75 million of its citizens if it fulfills certain conditions set out by the EU. But it still has five conditions left to satisfy relating to data protection and anti-terror laws, and Erdoğan is putting huge pressure on the European community to let those five conditions slide. This is causing serious fear among European leaders that the refugee deal, which has been effective in slowing the growth of the European migrant crisis, might fall apart.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ce-erdogan

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:00 am

Russia calls U.S. move to better arm Syrian rebels a 'hostile act'
Tue Dec 27, 2016 | 6:14pm EST

By Andrew Osborn | MOSCOW
Russia said on Tuesday that a U.S. decision to ease restrictions on arming Syrian rebels had opened the way for deliveries of shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles, a move it said would directly threaten Russian forces in Syria.

Moscow last year launched a campaign of air strikes in Syria to help President Bashar al-Assad and his forces retake territory lost to rebels, some of whom are supported by the United States.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the policy change easing restrictions on weapons supplies had been set out in a new U.S. defense spending bill and that Moscow regarded the step as a hostile act.

U.S. President Barack Obama, who has been sharply critical of Russia's intervention in Syria, signed the annual defense policy bill into law last week....

Snip ... "The current occupants of the White House imagined that they could pressure Russia," said Zakharova. "Let's hope that those who replace them will be wiser."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 am

DEC 29 2016, 7:04 AM ET
Russia, Turkey Hail Syria Cease-Fire Deal, Peace Talks in Kazakhstan
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS and REUTERS

Syria's military has agreed to a nationwide cease-fire starting tonight, it was reported Thursday, after Russia said it had brokered a deal with Turkey to allow peace talks.

Fighting will halt from midnight local time (5 p.m. ET), Syria's army said in a statement carried on by state news agency SANA, Reuters reported.

The army called it a "comprehensive nationwide cessation of hostilities."...

Snip ... He said Russia and Turkey would guarantee the truce, according to The Associated Press....

Continues

**** This is very fragile, not all the opposition groups are included in this. While no details of the 'who' have agreed to the cease fire, one can assume it does not include any of the Kurdish groups, the PKK, PYD, and it's military arm the YPG. The US is said to be in support of the YPG in Syria, though no official position has been stated. Turkey has accused the US of supporting opposition groups they consider to be terrorist, including isis. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:38 am

President Erdoğan admits wrong strategies in education and culture
ANKARA Thursday,December 29 2016, Your time is 6:31:08 AM

Turkey has pursued an incorrect strategy in culture and the arts, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has admitted at the Presidential Great Culture and Art Awards ceremony, adding that Turkey had failed to nurture an authentic cultural environment while struggling to survive as a state.

“As a result, when setting up our new state from outside, we chose the wrong strategy in the field of culture and art like many other areas, in my opinion,” Erdoğan said Dec. 28.

The Presidential Culture and Art Grand Awards were handed out at a ceremony attended by Erdoğan, Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Şimşek, ministers, top judges, academics and artists.

Speaking at the ceremony, Erdoğan said Turkey had not been able to preserve its authentic cultural heritage during the modernization period, arguing that the mutual interaction with the world in the information age was one-sided for Turkey....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 am

US supplies weapons to YPG terrorists in Syria, period, FM says
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 20 hours ago

The U.S. supplies weapons to PKK-affiliated YPG terrorists in Syria, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said on Thursday, adding that the U.S.-backed coalition forces have not been supporting Turkey's anti-Daesh operation through airstrikes.

"Until today, the U.S. has given weapons to the YPG –period." Çavuşoğlu said during live broadcast with the Ahaber news channel, in reference to a statement published by the U.S. Embassy in Turkey, denying such claims.

"The United States government has not provided weapons or explosives to the YPG or the PKK –period" the statement by the U.S. Embassy said on Wednesday....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:21 am

Turkish parliamentary commission approves reform to grant Erdogan more power
Date 30.12.2016

A controversial reform that would significantly expand Turkish President Erdogan's power has passed another hurdle. Now parliament will vote on whether a constitutional referendum will go forward.

The Turkish parliament's constitutional commission approved a draft of a controversial constitutional reform championed by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his party AKP on Friday.

The proposed reform would transform Turkey from a parliamentary system into a presidential system, shifting executive power from parliament and prime minister to the presidency. Under the current constitution, the president officially serves a largely ceremonial role, but Erdogan has used his popularity to expand his influence on Turkish politics....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:32 am

It’s about time the White House got tough with Turkey’s authoritarian leader.
by TOM ROGAN December 29, 2016 4:00 AM

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has big ambitions. He wants to become an Imam Ataturk, a leader who replaces Turkey’s national secularism with autocratic political Islam.

But this week, by claiming the United States supports ISIS, Erdogan crossed a line. In doing so, he showed that he’ll make any move he likes, even if it seriously harms obvious American interests. The stakes are significant, and come January 20th, President Trump will have to respond.

For a start, it’s clear that Erdogan is no longer a U.S. ally; these days, he is a humbled subject of Vladimir Putin. As I’ve explained, Erdogan’s supplication to Russia was forged by two developments: ISIS’s increasing threat to Turkey and President Obama’s yielding of Syria to Russian dominion. The days when Erdogan shot down Russian fighter jets are long gone. He knows who is boss now: the KGB colonel....

Snip ... Trump’s budding friendship with Egyptian president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi offers a template here. Erdogan and el-Sisi already hate each other. Erdogan’s unyielding desire for international prestige is Trump’s means of pressuring him. Sensing isolation, he will alter course....

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... her-stance

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:45 am

Friday,December 30 2016, Your time is 4:39:16 AM
Game changer Turkey

What was the cost of Turkey realizing its acute wrong Syria policy? I could start counting the costs by placing right at the top Ahmet Davutoğlu, Turkey’s former prime minister. Davutoğlu’s continued premiership would have made it impossible for Turkey to modify its Sunni-obsessed perspective by crippling its historical, cultural and of course political clout.

The neo-Ottomanist expansionist aims of Turkey, of course could not be totally credited to Davutoğlu, but he was the architect of the collapsed project which must be considered as one of the fundamental reasons for today’s drastic situation. Naturally, the neo-Ottomanist hallucinations could not be solely blamed for the tragedy that has been continuing for so many years in Syria. Millions of people had to abandon their homes, displaced or compelled to seek refuge outside their homeland, while hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives as the country was almost completely destroyed. For what? Just for the sake of a regime change in Damascus? Or, was bringing a Sunni caliphate regime to the Middle East the aim and Syria was compelled to pay a portion of the price for such a mammoth hallucination?

The ousting of Davutoğlu and the arrival of Binalı Yılıdırm as the Chief Vizier of Turkey’s absolute ruler, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, was not of course solely a requirement for rerouting the Syria policy, but more so to consolidate Erdoğan’s grip on the government, ruling party and the country with trustworthy ally Yıldırım. After all, a prime minister who started believing he had power would not be welcomed by Erdoğan.

With the help of the political crutch, which proved its effectivity by rushing to service whenever his master was in difficulty, Yılıdırım successfully geared the country toward a super presidential system that opposition parties and critics condemn as legitimizing the de facto authoritarian one-man regime....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:05 am

Turkey won't stop pursuing its goals in 2017, Erdoğan says in New Year's message
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 21 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan highlighted in his New Year's message that Turkey will continue to fight against terrorist organizations and meet its goals in 2017, despite attempts to slow it down and will enjoy a brighter future through unity and solidarity amongst its people.

Noting that Turkey has experienced many distressing incidents in 2016, Erdoğan said that he hopes 2017 brings security, peace, happiness and prosperity to the country, the region and the world.

Remembering the victims of terrorism, who have been killed in various attacks carried out by PKK, Daesh and PYD terrorist organizations, as well as in the deadly July 15 failed coup attempt by the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), Erdoğan pledged that Turkey will continue to take measures to ensure domestic security.

"Hopefully in 2017 we will destroy terrorist organizations and will also achieve greater economic success," Erdoğan said, adding that Turkey will 'surely' reach its 2023 goals, along with its 2053 and 2071 goals in the future....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:08 am

Russia And Turkey Have Agreed On Cease-Fire For Syria, What's Next?
December 29, 20164:08 PM ET

Russia and Turkey have announced a new cease-fire for Syria. But like others that have come and gone, this probably represents little more than a pause.

ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST:

Russia and Turkey say they have brokered a ceasefire in Syria. The Syrian army announced that the truce would begin tonight. Russia says this could be a precursor to more peace talks. NPR's Alice Fordham reports that many such ceasefires have been tried before and have fallen apart.

ALICE FORDHAM, BYLINE: The deal was announced by two countries heavily militarily involved in Syria - Russia, which backs the government of President Bashar al-Assad, and Turkey, which backs the rebels. Rebel leaders have been involved in talks and presumably the regime, too. What's clear is this deal comes at a time when the rebels are at perhaps their lowest ebb since the beginning of the nearly six-year civil war. Here's analyst Aron Lund.

ARON LUND: Of course there have been military developments, like the fall of the rebel area in eastern Aleppo recently, you know? That's important.

FORDHAM: After retaking the whole of Aleppo, Assad loyalists have been moving swiftly into other rebel areas, so Lund says the opposition and its backers could be more likely to stick to a truce right now. But that doesn't mean Russia or Assad's other major ally Iran won't violate the deal as they've done in the past.

LUND: If there's good faith on both sides here, then maybe. But good faith - Russia, Iran, Turkey - I don't know....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:11 am

Happy New Year everyone !!!

Stay safe ...

:praying:

and be prepared ...

:armor:

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:50 am

Exit40 wrote:Happy New Year everyone !!!

Stay safe ...

:praying:

and be prepared ...

:armor:

God Bless You

David

Happy new year, David. May our Lord bless you even more. :hugs:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:33 am

World condemns attack, voice solidarity
ISTANBUL Sunday,January 1 2017, Your time is 5:26:58 AM

Leaders from around the world condemned a terror attack at an Istanbul nightclub early on Jan. 1 that killed at least 39 people and injured 69 others.
Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed his condolences to his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the Kremlin said in a statement.

Putin said it was “hard” to imagine a “more cynical” crime than the murder of innocent civilians during New Year’s holiday.

“But, the terrorists are absolutely alien to the concept of human morality,” he added.

Putin said common duty would be responding “decisively” to terrorist aggression.

White House spokesman Eric Schulz said President Barack Obama “expressed condolences for the innocent lives lost, directed his team to offer inappropriate (sic) assistance to the Turkish authorities, as necessary and keep him updated as warranted.”...

Snips ... Pope Francis departed from his prepared text in his New Year’s address to condemn the attack.

“Unfortunately, violence has stricken even in this night of good wishes and hope. Pained, I express my closeness to the Turkish people. I pray for the many victims and for the wounded and for the entire nation in mourning,” he said.

“I ask the Lord to sustain all men of good will to courageously roll up their sleeves to confront the plague of terrorism and this stain of blood that is covering the world with a shadow of fear and a sense of loss,” he added....

... Israeli President Reuven Rivlin said in a statement that “the attack against an Istanbul nightclub is an attack against the whole humanity.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:58 am

U.N. Backs Russian-Turkish Syria Efforts As Cease-Fire Wavers
Edith Lederer / AP Dec. 31, 2016
The resolution also calls for the "rapid, safe and unhindered" delivery of humanitarian aid throughout Syria

(BEIRUT) — The U.N. Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution supporting efforts by Russia and Turkey to end the nearly six-year conflict in Syria and jump-start peace negotiations.

The resolution approved Saturday afternoon also calls for the “rapid, safe and unhindered” delivery of humanitarian aid throughout Syria. And it anticipates a meeting of the Syrian government and opposition representative in Kazakhstan’s capital Astana in late January.

The resolution’s final text dropped an endorsement of the Syria cease-fire agreement reached Thursday, as Western members of the council sought changes to the circulated draft resolution to clarify the U.N.’s role and the meaning of the agreement brokered by Moscow and Ankara....

Snips ... But in a statement issued by a coalition of 11 rebel factions, including the powerful Army of Islam group operating in the Damascus countryside, rebels said they could not abide by the cease-fire if the government continued its assault on Barada Valley.

The statement also complained that the government’s version of the agreement signed in Ankara last week had deleted “a number of essential and non-negotiable points.”...

... The truce does not cover operations against the Islamic State group or al-Qaida’s Syria affiliate, the Fatah al-Sham front....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:48 am

A Christian Pastor in Turkey’s Prisons
An evangelical minister gets caught in Erdogan’s expanding dragnet after July’s coup attempt.
By SOHRAB AHMARI Jan. 2, 2017 6:09 p.m. ET

Andrew Brunson was elated when Turkey’s Interior Ministry summoned him on Oct. 7 in the coastal city of Izmir. The ministry, the American pastor imagined, was granting him and his wife, Norine, permanent-resident status after they’d spent more than two decades preaching the gospel in Turkey. Instead they were arrested and detained for unspecified reasons.

So began a Turkish nightmare the couple is living to this day.

Turkish immigration authorities informed the Brunsons that they would be detained pending deportation from the country. Norine was released after two weeks, but her husband was held in the immigration-detention facility for another two months, including two days in solitary confinement. He was initially denied access to legal counsel, and two U.S. consular visits didn’t take place until after he’d already spent a month in the facility.

“What’s been frustrating is that no information has been given at any time,” a lawyer for the Brunsons told me in a phone interview. (The lawyer requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the case.) By all accounts Pastor Brunson loves Turks and Turkey. He raised his children in the country, and the Brunsons have had “zero issues for 23 years,” their lawyer says.

Yet overnight on Dec. 8 the pastor was transferred to a counterterror center, brought before a judge the next day and charged with “membership in an armed terrorist organization.” To this day the limited case documentation provided to the family doesn’t specify which “terror” organization the pastor supposedly joined. Court proceedings revealed, however, that the Turks may have pegged Pastor Brunson as a Gülenist....

Snip ... Now even evangelical pastors are secret Gülenists....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 am

Turkey Extends State of Emergency in Wake of Attack Claimed by Islamic State
Ankara is contending with aftermath of New Year’s assault in Istanbul
By EMRE PEKER Updated Jan. 4, 2017 4:26 a.m. ET

ISTANBUL—Turkey’s parliament voted to extend the government’s state-of-emergency powers following the deadly New Year’s attack claimed by Islamic State, as the country struggles to contain rising terrorist threats and law enforcement contends with depleted ranks in the wake of last year’s failed coup.

The gunman remains at large after the assault that killed at least 39 people, although Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said authorities had identified the man, without providing details, according to the Anadolu state news agency. There is little information about the gunman’s identity beyond photographs of a suspect released by authorities....

Snip ...Under the state of emergency, the government can rule by decree and fire public employees with little recourse, while security officials can detain terrorism suspects and other alleged enemies of the state for up to 30 days without charges....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:57 am

Critics point to Erdogan’s criticism of New Year celebrations before Istanbul attack
By World Tribune on January 3, 2017

In condemning New Year’s celebrations and making it easier for jihadists to travel through the country, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Islamist government helped create the climate that led to the New Year’s Eve terror attack in Istanbul, secular critics of Erdogan say.

Erdogan’s critics point to the religious-based criticism last week of New Year celebrations by pro-government media outlets and by Turkey’s leading Islamic cleric, Mehmet Gormez, head of the country’s Directorate of Religious Affairs, an official state institution.

Gormez issued a sermon that was to be preached in all of the country’s 85,000 mosques on Dec. 30, branding New Year celebrations as “illegitimate” and arguing they belonged to “other cultures.”...

Snip ... Some Erdogan critics say Ankara’s intelligence agencies actively channeled arms to jihadists and made it easy for foreign fighters to travel through Turkey to reach Syria...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 am

Iran hits back at Syria truce criticism from Turkey
AFP , Thursday 5 Jan 2017

Iran has hit back at "unconstructive" Turkish allegations that Tehran's allies were violating a fragile ceasefire in Syria, accusing rebels of breaking the truce.
"The current ceasefire in Syria has been violated repeatedly by the anti-government armed opposition groups," foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said Wednesday.

"(Turkey) should take necessary measures to deal with several instances of ceasefire violation by these groups and at the same time refrain from taking unreal stances and accusing other parties."

He was responding to Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, who on Wednesday accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government of violating a ceasefire Ankara brokered with regime backer Moscow last week....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:04 am

Erdogan Joins Push to Reunify Cyprus as Access to Energy Beckons
by Paul Tugwell and Georgios Georgiou January 4, 2017, 4:01 PM PST January 5, 2017, 12:23 AM PST
Officials say chance of ending frozen conflict best for years

Geneva talks offer prospect of stability in turbulent region
As talks resume on ending the frozen conflict in Cyprus, the prospect of reunifying the Mediterranean island divided in 1974 comes with the promise of delivering a rare piece of stability in a turbulent world.

With energy supply contracts, the regional security threat from Islamic State and the looming presence of Russia in the background, the leaders of Greek-speaking Cyprus and the Turkish-occupied north will meet in Geneva starting on Jan. 9 after negotiations broke down in November over territory. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will then jet in and he is expected to be joined by the Greek and British prime ministers.

Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades, 70, said in his televised New Year address that any approach that aims to impose the views of one side won’t work and “time will continue to work against” a settlement. Turkish-Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci, 69, told the BBC on Dec. 28 that the talks “may be the last opportunity to reach peace in Cyprus.”

What happens next will reverberate around Europe and help set the tone for 2017 after a year when the continent’s divisions were laid bare....

Snip ...On the security side, Greece and Turkey are both members of NATO and Cypriot reunification would help to strengthen the organization in the region as Russia continues to expand its influence through its support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad....

Continues

God bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:41 am

Russia and Turkey close ranks. A victory for Putin?
SHIFT IN THOUGHT Their partnership on Syria marks a significant shift for Turkey's President Erdoğan. Still, analysts say, there are limits to Russia’s new friendship with Turkey.
Scott Peterson JANUARY 5, 2017 LONDON—

Throughout Syria’s grinding six-year war, Turkey did all it could to topple President Bashar al-Assad, backing anti-regime rebels in concert with Washington’s policy.

For just as long, Russia did all it could to preserve Mr. Assad’s rule. It finally turned the tide in the regime's favor by stepping up military support and airstrikes in September 2015, and, alongside Iran and Hezbollah, ensuring that pro-Assad forces took full control of key rebel strongholds in Aleppo last month.

Yet today, Turkey, a NATO ally, and a resurgent Russia are embarking on a new rapprochement that could be a defining feature of 2017 geopolitics, as anti-Americanism flares in Turkey and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan finds grounds for friendship with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin....

Snips ... “They are winning at the moment, but the question is, do they get the big prize of detaching Turkey away from the Western alliance? I think it is too early to say,” says Aliriza. “Clearly Turkey still wants to cooperate with the US. They are waiting for Trump.”...

... Close observers of Turkey say the pro-Russia moves signify that Moscow is seeking influence in Turkey, but that Turkey is not likely to upend decades in the Western camp....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:17 am

Turkey in grip of fear as Erdoğan steps up post-terror attack crackdown
Critics believe president’s intolerant approach to civil society may have fostered conditions in which atrocity was possible
Saturday 7 January 2017 16.55 EST Last modified on Saturday 7 January 2017 17.01 EST

Turkey’s strongman president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, rarely goes on the defensive. Yet in his first public appearance since the New Year’s Eve massacre in an Istanbul nightclub, he felt obliged to publicly reject the notion that his government’s intolerant approach to civil society could possibly have encouraged the attack claimed by Islamic State that left 39 people dead.

Erdoğan was speaking before a regular gathering of elected community leaders, an opportunity he usually uses to glad-hand political support.

However, the shock of the attack has further rent an already divided country. While no one believes that the government is directly responsible, it is accused of creating an atmosphere in which a religious fanatic could get away with murder.

“Nobody should be forced to share the same kind of lifestyle,” said Erdoğan, adding that if anyone had come under pressure to conform to an alien way of life it had been “this brother” – meaning himself....

Snips ... “Turkey no longer thinks in terms of left and right but secularist and Islamicist,” says Ayşe Öncü, professor emeritus of sociology at Istanbul’s Sabanci University....

... However beleaguered Erdoğan might be, few expect him to back down. “You may dislike a thing while it is good for you, and you may love a thing while it is evil for you,” he said in a New Year message to his people – the implication being that, though they may view the new authoritarianism as a bitter pill, they will grow to love the taste....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:38 am

Turkey blames sabotage, cyberattacks from US soil for power cuts
Published time: 8 Jan, 2017 08:07

Sabotage of underground powerlines and cyberattacks originating in the US were contributing factors in the power outages which Istanbul and other parts of Turkey have been experiencing since last week, the country’s energy minister said.

“Yesterday, we faced an intense, US-originated cyber attack. These attacks have been carried out systematically on different parts of the Energy Ministry, but we have repelled them all,” Turkish Energy Minister Berat Albayrak said in an interview with A Haber TV....

Snips ... Turkey’s largest city faced rolling power outages since last week, when the country was hit by unusually cold weather and snowstorms. The energy ministry initially reported that the cuts were due to damage to the power grid caused by the snow.

...Last Saturday, a source in the ministry told state news agency Anadolu that hacking was part of the problem as well...

... Ankara has routinely accused US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen of using a wide network of supporters in Turkey to undermine the government....

Continues

**** Keeping in mind this source is RT, a Russian resource, it generally follows the narrative put out in other sources as a conspiracy from either Gulen or the govt itself which was trying to limit New Year celebrations. Turks love their conspiracies, and it depends on which group they belong to as to which one they believe. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 am

Parliament set to begin charter talks to shift governance system
Nuray Babacan - ANKARA Monday,January 9 2017, Your time is 4:38:30 AM

Turkey’s parliament is set to commence two-stage discussions on government-drafted constitutional amendments on Jan. 9 that are set to usher in a major change in the country’s governance system for an executive presidency despite oppositional concerns that it will lead to authoritarian rule.

While the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) plans to finish the discussions on the 18-article constitutional proposal in the general assembly in six days, the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which opposes the proposal, is planning to block the talks.

The CHP’s decision came after meetings held with the AKP about the procedure regarding the discussions to be taken in parliament. The two parties failed to agree on the procedure for the three-day meetings.
The CHP’s request to extend the duration of the lawmakers’ speeches on the items was rejected.

However, a previous request by the CHP to broadcast the discussions on Parliament TV on the state broadcaster was accepted by Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım, despite opposition from the AKP administration....

Continues

**** I wonder if they will have brawls over this,like they have in the past. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:06 am

From ally to scapegoat: Fethullah Gülen, the man behind the myth
Turkey's purge against dissidents continues and its state of emergency is extended - all allegedly because of one man: Fethullah Gülen. Who is Turkey's public enemy number one, and what do we know about his organization?
Date 08.01.2017 Author Sertan Sanderson

Within the first week of 2017, the Turkish government has fired another 6,000 people - including police officers, justice ministry officials and health ministry employees. This is in addition to another 110,000 individuals who since the coup attempt in July 2016 have been dismissed and more than 40,000 who have been incarcerated, pending trial.

The vast majority of them are accused of having links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government has branded a terrorist organization called "FETÖ."
Turkey says that FETÖ is out to topple the government, prepared to step in and run the country once its leader, US-based cleric Fethullah Gülen, manages to rise to power using whatever means necessary.

Is all this an elaborate conspiracy theory or is there evidence to support the Turkish government's crackdown on so-called Gülenists under the recently extended state-of-emergency measures?...

Snip ... There is a much more sinister side to the organization. For one thing, there is a major personality cult focusing on the role of Fethullah Gülen. The charismatic leader is venerated in some bizarre ways; a report in the "New Yorker" magazine states that Gülen's followers fight over getting to eat his leftover food and that it is an honor to drink water from his shoe. The same report also quotes a former member of the movement as saying that his followers believe that Gülen is the Messiah....

Continues

**** RE the last paragraph concerning personality cult, much the same can be said of Turkeys president I believe. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:13 am

Turkish ‘heroes’ in Iraq’s Bashiqa show how powerful Turkey is, Erdoğan says in phone call with soldiers
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 3 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan held a phone call with Turkish troops in Iraq's Bashiqa camp late Sunday.

"You are there as heroes, who stand against Daesh terror and oppression," he said in the call.

"The fact that over 1,300 Daesh terrorists have been killed so far shows how powerful Turkey is. You have made the terrorists pay the price for their atrocities. In addition to your efforts in Iraq, your colleagues in Syria have also caused Daesh great damage there, in another sign of our power," he added, stating that 300 more Daesh terrorists have been killed in Syria.

"May Allah be your guide and helper in your duty," Erdoğan concluded....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:13 am

Donald Trump's presidency is golden opportunity for Turkey, claims Recep Tayyip Erdogan
'I believe we will reach a consensus with Mr Trump, particularly on regional issues.'
Tom Batchelor 15 hours ago9 comments

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has said relations between Ankara and Washington are likely to improve once Donald Trump is inaugurated later this month.

In a swipe at Barack Obama during his final days in office, President Erdogan said he hoped a “consensus” would be reached with the President-elect that would allow both sides to solve “regional issues”.

While not elaborating on what they may be, it is thought he could be referring to the war in Syria and US support for a Kurdish militia group fighting Isis.

Diplomacy between the US and Turkey has suffered as a result of the six-year conflict and America’s support for the Kurdish People's Protection Units – or YPG – which Turkey sees as an extension of the militant group PKK....

Snip ... Turkey expects Washington to extradite Gulen and to end its cooperation with the YPG, he said ( Turkish foreign minister Mr Cavusoglu, ed ).....

Contineus

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:39 am

On exchange rate pressure in Turkey Cemil Ertem
CEMIL ERTEM Published 2 hours ago

The currencies of developing countries, particularly the Turkish lira, are quickly losing value against the dollar these days. Does this also correspond to a real economic crisis for these countries? Should Turkey choose to become a debt and import economy again by increasing interest rates and keeping the lira overvalued, or should it take a new growth path based on production and exports with economic distress? Let me begin answering this question by saying what the U.S. is doing with the dollar, a basic reserve currency.

The U.S. has been trying for a while to reconsolidate its economy through the dollar. U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's recent statements reflect this consolidation. Trump asked American capital holders why they go to Mexico and invest there, iterating his insistence that they invest their capital in the U.S. The U.S.'s appreciation of the dollar with high interest rate expectations that depend on its concern about external financing is also related. But we cannot say that such a move is right for a power that maintains its claim to lead the world economy. This is because economic sovereignty is possible with the export of commodities and capital. An economy that does not export capital cannot rank among the central economies, let alone become the top economy in the world. In other words, the U.S.'s strategy, which is based on the overvalued dollar, is not suitable for the long-term.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 am

Why the lira’s in trouble: 2017’s worst loss See charts. Inflation, central bank inertia, terror attacks causing pain.
Constantine Courcoulas and Isobel Finkel, Bloomberg / 11 January 2017 08:44

Thought the lira was due a breather after last year’s eye-watering losses? Think again.

Turkey’s political quagmire has been exacerbated by central bank inaction and higher-than-expected inflation to make the lira the worst-performing currency of 2017.

The currency has dropped 6 percent against the dollar in the year’s first seven trading days, adding to last year’s 17 percent slump. It’s set a new record on five of them. The pace of the depreciation has been so steep, it’s left all other major currencies trailing in its wake: the next worst-performer of 2017 has been Mexico’s peso, and it’s weakened barely half as much.

There’s no shortage of ways to express the damage. But just why is the lira depreciating? Here are some charts that explain....

Snip ... Those comments are typical of the nonchalant approach policy makers have taken as the currency crumbled. The central bank has held back from major intervention, and politicians have preferred to shift the blame to speculators who, they say, are attacking Turkey’s economy....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 am

Turkey vote brings President Recep Tayyip Erdogan a step closer to increased executive power
Proposed constitutional reform would allow sitting president to appoint and dismiss ministers and stay in office until 2029
Bethan McKernan Beirut @mck_beth 16 hours ago28 comments

The Turkish parliament has voted to advance a bill on constitutional reform that would allow sitting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to stay in office until 2029.

Under the proposed far-reaching changes to the executive branch of government, the power to appoint and dismiss government ministers would become the purview of the president rather than the prime minister.

The reform would also allow Mr Erdogan to become leader of the ruling party while in office again, and possibly stay in power for another 12 years.

US-Turkey ties will improve with Trump in the White House says Erdogan
Turkey dismisses 6,000 police, civil servants and academics

The Isis attack in Istanbul is the end of freedom of speech in Turkey
At Monday's debate on the lengthy bill, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said the reform would “resolve the problem of Turkey having two executive authorities.”

“There needs to be one authority in the executive branch,” he said. “Two captains sink the ship, there needs to be one captain.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:52 am

Turkey's Syrian and Iraqi Refugees May Get Citizenship, President Erdoğan Says
BY MARY PASCALINE @PADAWANRADJOU ON 01/11/17 AT 2:41 AM

Turkey is considering naturalizing some working Iraqi and Syrian refugees along with their families, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Tuesday. He added that among the over 3 million refugees the country had taken in were some who possessed “high levels of education, experience and means” and could “make a great contribution” to Ankara.

“Today, we are hosting over 3 million Syrian and Iraqis. This situation, which was anticipated for a short period at the beginning, necessitated more radical measures over time,” Erdoğan reportedly said addressing district governors.

“Among the people living within our borders are some with high levels of education, experience and means. Treating these people otherwise would mean a betrayal of humanitarian values. There are people who will make a great contribution to our country,” he added....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:08 am

West failed to understand what really happened in Turkey
Home | Global Europe | Opinions
DISCLAIMER: All opinions in this column reflect the views of the author(s), not of EurActiv.com PLC.
By Veysi Kaynak Veysi Kaynak is Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Jan 10, 2017 (updated: 1:01)

Six months after the failed coup in Turkey, the EU must come to understand that there is no double standard when fighting terrorism, writes Veysi Kaynak.

When the European Parliament voted in November to unilaterally freeze EU accession talks with Turkey, it revealed both naïveté and the extent to which many in the West fail to understand what really happen in the country six months ago and the threats we have faced since.

Over the past six months, our government has been embroiled in a struggle with forces that tried to destroy the democratic foundations of our country – and could try again. These forces, under the command of Fetullah Gülen, murdered almost 250 Turkish unarmed citizens who were bravely resisting the attempted coup d’état. Just as the US had its 9/11 and France had its 13th November, we have 15th July. It is now our duty to prevent all new threats to the Turkish people and to safeguard the integrity of the Republic’s institutions.

Consider the extent of the threat. For 40 years, the Gülen network has been working to infiltrate the organs of the Turkish Republic. Their methods are sophisticated, and their reach is broad: investigators have revealed how Gülenists carried codenames, communicated through encrypted systems, reported to a parallel hierarchy of “brothers” and systematically bugged and wiretapped state institutions. They stole the military academy entrance exam papers to help their candidates: Today, approximately 100,000 officers are estimated to have links to the movement. Of the 358 generals in the Turkish Armed Forces today, 160 have been connected to this organisation....

Snip ... There is a new wind of pragmatism blowing in international affairs....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:34 am

Brawl Erupts in Turkey's Parliament Over Constitutional Reform
By J.J. GALLAGHER Jan 12, 2017, 5:23 AM ET

Lawmakers from opposing parties in Turkey's general assembly clashed during a tense session on a controversial set of constitutional reforms on Thursday, with the physical confrontation being caught on video and posted to social media.

The general assembly is in the midst of a two-week debate over proposed sweeping changes to the country's constitution that would give the president the power to appoint and dismiss government ministers, lead his own political party, propose budgets and declare states of emergency.

The changes would also allow current president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to remain in office until 2029.

The debate comes after weeks of tumult in Turkey that include a spate of terrorist attacks within its borders. The proposed changes are seen by many as a response to the failed coup in July that Erdogan has blamed on U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 am

Government seizes businesses in Turkey
Date 12.01.2017

The Turkish government has seized hundreds of businesses. Many of the owners have fled to Germany. The government accused these owners of supporting the Gülen movement. The government says Gülen was behind the recent coup attempt.

Video report, 4 min

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 am

Turkish MPs pass articles 7, 8 of new constitution
Items concern requirements for president; also office’s duties, authorities
ANKARA 13.01.2017

Parliament late Thursday and early Friday adopted the seventh and eight articles of a new constitutional reform package -- two of the most debated items among a total of 18.

On Article 7 that deals with the requirements and restrictions for a presidential candidate, 340 of 550 lawmakers voted to pass the measure while 136 rejected the motion; four papers were left blank and two votes were deemed invalid; 68 lawmakers were absent....

Snipe ... Addressing deputies at the general assembly, Baykal said: "The state will be degraded to one political party and that political party will be turned into the state's party. That is dangerous."...

... If it passes parliament with 330 of 550 deputies, it will be voted on in a national referendum. If it obtains the support of 367 lawmakers, it can pass into law without referendum although Erdogan has said he would push for a referendum even if the draft is approved by the two-thirds majority....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:49 am

Erdogan calls for Turkish 'national mobilisation' to defend lira
By Ercan Gurses and Behiye Selin Taner | ANKARA/ISTANBUL Thu Jan 12, 2017 | 8:58pm GMT

President Tayyip Erdogan accused Turkey's enemies on Thursday of using currency speculation to try to topple the state and urged the central bank to "thwart these games", saying it had all the tools it needed after the lira plunged to record lows.

Erdogan repeated his call to Turks to sell foreign currency, urging a "sense of national mobilisation" against speculators. He evoked last July's military coup attempt, when people took to the streets to block tanks, and said anybody who helped the nation achieve its targets would be a hero.

"There is no difference in terms of goals between the terrorist with a gun in his hand and a terrorist with dollars and euros in his hands," Erdogan said in a speech to local administrators at the presidential palace in Ankara.

"The goal is to topple Turkey, to make it kneel and stray from its goals. They are using the foreign exchange rate as a weapon," he said. "Of course, we have some problems, but none of these explain the exchange rate in our country."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 am

Bypassing Obama, Moscow invites Trump team to Syria peace talks
FRENCH PRESS AGENCY - AFP WASHINGTON Published 18 hours ago

Russia has invited Donald Trump's incoming administration to attend upcoming Syrian peace talks in Kazakhstan, The Washington Post reported Friday, bypassing the Obama administration which has been notably absent from the process.

Turkey, which is co-hosting the talks with Russia, has said Washington would be asked to join the talks being held in the Kazakh capital Astana, likely on January 23.

But there has been no confirmation from Moscow, and the current U.S. administration said Friday it had not been asked to take part....

Snip ... The Assad regime and the moderate opposition will be expected to meet for talks for the first time in nearly a year in the Kazakh capital of Astana in the second half of January. Those talks will be mediated by Turkey, Russia and Iran....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:03 am

Turkey’s continuing economic troubles border on crisis
Bomb attacks by Isis and separatists, currency woes and coup all contribute to woes
about 7 hours ago Stephen Starr Istanbul

Istanbul’s historic Grand Bazaar was once the trading heartbeat of the entire Ottoman empire, but today it tells a different story.

Shop fronts that were only months ago lit up by gold jewellery or colourful rugs now lie empty. Armed police and x-ray machines guard each entrance to the market, home to thousands of shops and stalls.

The baying currency traders who have been a mainstay of the Grand Bazaar’s most off-the-beaten-track back streets for decades, are now uncommonly quiet and few in number even as, last Friday, the US dollar-Turkish lira exchange rate hit uncharted territory at 3.60 lira to the greenback.

This week, there is just a single trader blaring down his phone; the rest are sitting around an electric heater or staring at their phone screens. This week, the lira – rising to 3.89 lira to the dollar – was losing value so quickly that by Wednesday morning it made Twitter’s worldwide trending list....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 am

Parliament completes first round of charter, ready for second round on Jan 18
ANKARA Monday,January 16 2017, Your time is 5:25:33 AM

Turkey’s parliament concluded the first round of voting on constitutional amendments late on Jan. 15 with the approval of the last two items of an 18-article package, paving the way for the start of a second round on Jan. 18.

“We have completed the first round of the constitutional amendment without any defections. God willing, Turkey will acquire a more effective administrative model,” Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş posted on his official Twitter account on Jan. 16, following a late-night session in parliament where the last article of the constitutional amendment package was approved.

With the approval of the last six articles in a 16-hour session, lawmakers completed the first round of the charter sessions, paving the way for a possible referendum after seven days of marathon debates.

A referendum is expected as the articles have received an average of 343 votes, which exceeds the threshold of 330 to bring the charter to a referendum....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 am

Istanbul New Year’s Nightclub Attack Suspect Caught
Man identified as the suspect had been on the run since the attack
IHA/ASSOCIATED PRESS By MARGARET COKER and EMRE PEKER Updated Jan. 17, 2017 7:55 a.m. ET

ISTANBUL—After a two-week manhunt that uncovered a network of alleged Central Asian radical Islamists across Turkey, authorities said early Tuesday they captured the gunman who burst into a fancy Istanbul night spot early on New Year’s Day and opened fire on revelers, killing 39 people.

The suspect was identified as Abdulgadir Masharipov, an Uzbek citizen, according to Istanbul’s governor, Vasip Sahin. Mr. Sahin said Mr. Masharipov, who was apprehended at an apartment on the outskirts of the city, had admitted to carrying out the assault.

Tuesday’s arrest was a significant success for Turkey’s security services, which have struggled to foil attacks by Islamist terrorists and insurgents from the country’s Kurdish minority. But investigators’ discoveries also revealed an uncomfortable truth about extremists’ wide presence in the country....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:35 am

Under Erdogan, Turkey Is Going the Way Pakistan Did With Zia-Ul-Haq
BY ASIM ALI ON 17/01/2017

Turkey’s is in a downward spiral. The sweeping crackdowns and increased religious polarisation will feed resentment and hatred, which in turn will to lead to more violence and subsequently further crackdowns.

Less than a decade ago, Turkey represented a model of what the West would call a modern Muslim republic – a booming economy, a well-established secular polity and a steadily maturing democracy with a decidedly Western orientation. The long aspired EU membership seemed on the anvil, which, along with its NATO membership, would fulfil the Kemalist dream of “winning a secure place for Turkey in the Western constellation”.

At the other end of the pole, another Muslim country, Pakistan, represented just the opposite – atavistic, paranoid, torn apart by terror and sectarian conflict, relegated to the position of a global pariah and fast approaching the status of a failed state. Pakistan was a direct outcome of the disastrous policies followed by General Zia-ul-Haq in the 1980s. A triad of policy patronage and export of terror, top-down Islamisation of society and fierce authoritarianism continues to have an impact on every problem tearing apart Pakistan – from sectarian violence and terrorism to human rights violations.

Facing economic slowdown at home, and a devastating civil war in its neighbourhood, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan pursued the Zia triad of policy-patronage of terror, Islamisation, and authoritarianism, with catastrophic consequences. The blowback has been immediate and increasingly bloody. Today, Turkey is marred by routine terrorist attacks. Its democracy is at the precipice of being upended, its society is violently polarised, its secularism frayed, fundamental rights and liberties cast by the wayside, and the general atmosphere marked by gloom, fear and uncertainty....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 am

EU Report Claims Erdogan Triggered Coup Attempt with Planned Purges
by JOHN HAYWARD18 Jan 20178

The European Union’s intelligence report on the true causes of July’s thwarted coup against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is not going to sit well with Erdogan or his officials.
The EU concluded Erdogan himself was the primary cause of the coup, while his nemesis Fethullah Gulen had little to do with it.

The Times of London reports that “a range of opponents to Mr. Erdogan and his ruling AK Party” mounted the coup, and they did so largely because they feared a purge Erdogan already had planned....

Snips ... Gulenists were, if anything, among the least enthusiastic coup participants in INTCEN’s view, but they felt pressured to join in when they saw they would be purged anyway....

... The report said teachings published in his name “on the surface … propagate tolerance”, but “at the same time, Islamic scholars expert in usage of language and symbols recognise that they are expressly anti-Semitic and anti-Christian”....

Continues

**** See the next post about the Gulen/Erdogan partership and subsequent fall out. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:35 am

RE Gulen's use of language being 'double tongued' in the previous post about the EU report, does anyone remember the Alliance of Civilizations doctrine formulated by Spain and Turkey's Prime Ministers ? Turkey's Prime Minister at the time was Erdogan, his top ally was Gulen. I reported at the time the AoC had Gulen fingerprints all over it, couched in this specific language that had double meanings, one of tolerance for the West to embrace and support, and one for islamists who's goal is world domination. The UN adopted this doctrine and formed the UNAOC in 2005. It is from this organization we have seen numerous statutes aimed at support for islamic ideals and derogatory towards anything Western, Israel in particular. One of these is the suppression of speech derogatory towards islam and it's prophet. This organization also has numerous projects aimed at youth, for the purpose of this hidden double tongued islamic indoctrination under the guise of tolerance, which we in the West are inclined to call Political Correctness. Consider the powerful and influential Gulen organization has thousands of schools in 100 countries, a large number here in the US formed under the charter school policies of many states. Here in the US there are also numerous Turkish business and support organizations, NGO's, most of which have Gulen's pro Turkey doctrines as their foundation. He is the ceremonial head of most of these, most of whom claim he has no direct influence in denial of their connection.

Erdogan as PM sponsored and used the Gulen organization to further his own agenda, which is coming to fruition today as he revamps the constitution to grant him executive power. But the Gulen/Erdogan alliance began to fall apart starting with the Mavi Marmara incident and it culminated with the Gulen org disclosing corruption in the Erdogan govt in Dec '13. What was it that caused this alliance that had remarkably taken over the Turkish govt less than ten years to fall apart ? Both of these islamists want to be named as a modern day islamic prophet, maybe even the mahdi himself, as their separate goal each is rule Turkey first, and the islamic world next, Gulen through his subversive organizations infiltration into Turkey's govt institutions and the UN, and Erdogan through his direct bold and brash political and cultural savvy.

Now that Erdogan has won this internal battle for Turkey's leadership, appointed his sycophants and minions to all the top govt ministry's and positions, purges the same of most if not all of Gulens operatives, and has the Parliament mostly supporting his efforts at constitutional reform and executive rule, which he essentially has right now under the current state of emergency since the July coup attempt, we can continue to expect him show his two sides, one as a man of the people and peace, the other as attempting to take control of the region as a forceful leader. Prophetically speaking, what we are witnessing is the rise of the gog/magog coalition that goes against Israel and ultimately the West. Erdogan has national and regional goals for the centennial of the Turkish Republic in 2023. Many of these he has expressed, the others are hidden in the double speak of a true islamist. Israel, Jerusalem, and the Temple Mount are his targets for conquest, a retaking of former islamic land which he believes to rightfully belong to the ummah, the house if islam, the islamic doctrine being once under islamic control, always belonging to islam. The modern day self appointed Turkish Sultan, according to his belief he is appointed by his god to rule Turkey and islam, will press into his version of fulfillment of islamic prophecy, and unwittingly fulfill the Scriptures of the Bible in the process. We can watch for him to speak more boldly in the future, using his regional platform against Israel, and the UNAOC as his world platform against Israel and the West. Ultimately it is his ego, his Turkish pride, that will be the hooks in his jaw, that cause his downfall. How all this unfolds in time will present to us the question of whether gog/magog is actually Armageddon, or not.

Here are a few dated links to the AoC initiative and subsequent adoption by the UNAOC forum for a refresher on it's doctrine and direction since...

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/the-alliance-of-c ... ive.en.mfa

http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... ilizations

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:41 am

President Erdogan urges reformed judicial system
Addressing jurists, Erdogan blames problems in the judiciary to the terrorist FETO group's infiltration of the system

ANKARA Reporting by Enes Kaplan; Writing by Ahmet Sait Akcay 18.01.2017

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday urged a reformed judicial system with a harmonious separation of powers.

Addressing members of the judiciary at the presidential complex in the capital Ankara, Erdogan decried the Fetullah Terror Organization’s (FETO) infiltration of judicial bodies and the trouble they have caused.

Erdogan urged a new democratic judicial system, saying, “Redefining the relations between the legislative and executive powers in a democratic way is not a loss but a gain for Turkey.”

He reassured that the pluralistic, broad-based structure of the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) would be protected, saying, “There is no possibility of returning to [old systems] from the pluralistic system which has benefited us greatly."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 am

MAKE TURKISH-AMERICAN RELATIONS GREAT AGAIN: ADVICE FOR THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION
BURAK KADERCAN JANUARY 18, 2017

As Donald Trump becomes president this Friday, relations between Turkey and the United States are worse off than they have ever been. The coup attempt in July instantly led to a crack in Turkish-American relations, even pushing numerous analysts in both countries to either prepare for or to accelerate the process of a “rupture” between the two longtime NATO allies. Turkish-American relations have had their ups and downs — they have certainly never been perfect — but the risk of a full break up has never been this real. As president, Donald Trump will have three options: cut Turkey loose, take the risk of losing Ankara through negligence, or make Turkish-American relations good (if not necessarily “great”) again.

If the Trump administration chooses to consider the final option, I have some advice for Donald Trump and his incoming administration on how to fix U.S.-Turkish relations.

Don’t squander public relations capital early

As the mainstream media in the United States was turning against Donald Trump, the reverse was happening in Turkey. In fact, based on my reading of Turkish media — both opposition and pro-government — it is clear that a considerable majority of the Turkish people were ecstatic over Trump’s victory. This can be explained by three factors.

First, in the eyes of many Turks, Hillary Clinton was associated with both the Obama administration and the Washington foreign policy establishment, both of which are blamed for the souring of Turkish-American relations. The Trump brand, by contrast, offered an unspoiled alternative that could make Turkish-American relations great again.

Second, Hillary Clinton openly mentioned that she would be willing to “arm the Kurds,” which appeared to Turks as a signal of either (at best) ignorance of the basics of the Kurdish question, or (at worst) malign U.S. intentions. Turks usually assume the worst when it comes to foreigners’ intentions. Many believed Clinton was bent on arming the PKK, the Marxist terrorist group known as the Kurdistan Workers Party that has been fighting the Turkish state for almost four decades.

Third, the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) voiced implicit support for Trump prior to the electionsEspecially for AKP supporters, Trump appears much more of a “people’s person” (in the Turkish context this means “closer to the common folk”) than Hillary Clinton ever did. For many Turks, being seen as a “people’s person” as opposed to a distant elitist is a positive attribute....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 am

A Case Study In How Lobbyists For Turkish Government Manipulate The American Media
CHUCK ROSS Reporter 11:04 PM 01/19/2017

Turkish news outlets lit up this weekend after a former Republican lawmaker published an op-ed at The Hill calling on the U.S. government to extradite Fethullah Gulen, an exiled Muslim cleric whose return to Turkey is an obsession for the NATO nation’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Among the reasons that former Montana Rep. Denny Rehberg’s piece went viral is an eye-catching graphic spoofing Gulen on a Monopoly board game. The piece also gained traction because, on its surface, it gave the impression that an unbiased former member of Congress felt strongly about Gulen’s extradition.

But there’s more to the story, and it exposes some of the inner workings of Turkey’s multi-million dollar lobbying effort to fetch the 77-year-old Gulen from the U.S.

Rehberg is a lobbyist for Mercury Public Affairs, a Washington, D.C. public relations shop. And one of Mercury’s clients is Amsterdam & Partners, a law firm that handles a $50,000-a-month account for the Turkish government. Amsterdam has led the effort to expose a vast network of charter schools operated by Gulen’s followers in the U.S. Many of the allegations are listed in the “Gulenopoly” graphic in Rehberg’s piece....

Snip ... In November, retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn published a piece at the website calling on the U.S. government to extradite Gulen. It was a peculiar article, not just because it was published on Election Day, but also because Flynn had never publicly discussed Gulen. Flynn had even expressed support for the attempted coup....

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/19/how-l ... z4WIwhgZ2U

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Prophecy Debate Area