OT Survey the Monarchy II Sam-II Chron

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

OT Survey the Monarchy II Sam-II Chron

Postby CaryC on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 am

Hey

Old Testament Survey
Books of the Monarchy
II Samuel, I & II Kings, I & II Chronicles

I’m going to cover the “Books of the Monarchy” all in one study. One of the reasons for this is it seems there is a lack of interest in this part of the Bible, the Word of God. There is a tremendous amount of interest in the prophetic books but not much in the historical books. I wish there was more interest in this part of the Bible, but there is no need to push something on those who aren’t interested.

II Samuel: Looks at the career of David, whereas I Samuel looked at the career of Samuel and Saul.

Chapters 1-12 covers David as the King of Judah at Hebron for 7 years, and then as King of Israel at Jerusalem for 13 years.

Chapters 13-24 cover David’s troubles, in his family, and in the Nation.

Chapter 7 is where the “Davidic Covenant” is located. David wants to build God a house to dwell in, vs. 1-3. God sends word to David through the prophet Nathan that He hasn’t ever asked for a house of cedar to dwell in. But He will build a house for David v. 11. Later David’s seed will build God a house, the reference is to Jesus, not Solomon, although there is a near fulfillment in time with Solomon, when he built the Temple, but the scope of the prophecy looks to Jesus. Note:
Act 7:45 Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David;
Act 7:46 Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.
Act 7:47 But Solomon built him an house.
Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

Cross reference:

Isa 66:1 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
Isa 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

The idea is that no one can contain God in a building. He lives and dwells in objects that are not made with hands. He lives and dwells in the hearts of believers, who are not made with hands, but each one is moved, conformed, built, if you will, by God, into conformity of Christ’s image and each is a brick of which Christ is the corner stone. As they look forward to the spiritual fulfillment of this covenant, Solomon builds a material Temple. There are a few things that we may note:
• This covenant is unconditional, there is nothing for David to keep.
• It is a Divine confirmation
• The Covenant goes on into perpetuity-forever as does David’s throne.
• In the Angels salutation to Mary about the birth of Jesus, he says Jesus will sit on the throne of David, which doesn’t exist at the time. Herod is King but not of the line of David, for he isn’t even a Jew, Hebrew.

Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Alas, even though the desire is strong with David, he is not allowed to build the Temple, because he is a man of war v. I Chron. 28: 3. But, and that is a big but, David gets all the material ready to build the Temple, in essence footing the build for it. I Chron. 22: 8 There is one other item I find interesting. In the building of the Tabernacle several chapters are given in Exodus and two views, one from the outside in and the other from the inside out. A very detail plan is given by God on the Mount to Moses and he is warned to be sure and make it as he saw on the Mount. We don’t see that going on with the Temple so we assume that didn’t happen (plans made by God and handed to someone). That is an error, please note:

1Ch 28:11 Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,
1Ch 28:12 And the pattern of all that he had by the spirit, of the courts of the house of the LORD, and of all the chambers round about, of the treasuries of the house of God, and of the treasuries of the dedicated things:
1Ch 28:19 All this, said David, the LORD made me understand in writing by his hand upon me, even all the works of this pattern.

I Kings: Chapters 1-11 covers the reign of Solomon which is 40 years.

King David as we have noted already had most everything prepared for the Temple which Solomon built. It took Solomon 7 years to build it. Interesting since we are looking to the last 7 years, and the next Temple, and Solomon’s salary being 666 shekels of gold.

1Ki 6:38 And in the eleventh year, in the month Bul, which is the eighth month, was the house finished throughout all the parts thereof, and according to all the fashion of it. So was he seven years in building it.
Some interesting points about the Temple. When ever you have some time go online and take the Tunnel Tour, it’s fascinating. The Tunnels run under the Western/Wailing Wall in those tunnels is the remains of Solomon’s Temple and Herod’s Temple. Streets have been excavated which Jesus would have walked on. There is a point in the tour where there is a plaque which tells you, you are opposite the Holy of Holies. You will also see some giant stone foundations, which are so big that our biggest cranes today would have trouble moving them. And yet, this Temple was built in 7 years. You also might want to take a look at Vendal Jones’ site and read about the Copper Scroll, because of this scroll he found the anointing oil that was only used in Solomon’s Temple, and they believe they are only 2 levels away from the ashes of the last red heifer. The two columns, Jachin and Boaz don’t support anything. Everything is about double the size of the Tabernacle.

Below is a layout of Solomon’s Temple:

Ryrie Study Bible
There was a study done by Nancy Missler called The Way of Agape in which she takes the Temple and likens it to a person. It’s a very interesting study and I encourage everyone to get the book or tapes. You will learn how your body, and all its components, work. This isn’t some fanciful, made up thing, but when she presented this to some Hebrew scholars they told her the linguistics supported her view.
Outer Court----------The Body
Inner Court-------------The Soul
Porch(called Court above where the Pillars are)------The Will
Holy Place-------------The Heart
The Holy of Holies-------------------The Spirit of Man The dwelling place of God
One other item before we leave this. If you will note in the above floor plan there are “Chambers” that run along the North and South walls. These were for the priests to keep their personal effects in. It is in these chambers that the priests kept their idols.

Plan of Solomon's Temple (Encyclopedia Judaica)

Chapters 12-22 covers the divided kingdom and 80 years. At the death of Solomon his son Rehoboam comes to the throne. The people of the kingdom have been under severe taxation and instead of easing the taxation Rehoboam increases it. This is the catalyst for dividing the kingdom, which was prophesied to happen. Rehoboam of Judah and the tribe of Benjamin who stands with Judah becomes the southern Kingdom known collectively as Judah. The other ten tribes join together and become the northern Kingdom known collectively as Israel. Israel chooses as its king a servant of Solomon named Jeroboam. This northern kingdom is also called Ephraim from time to time in the scriptures, because it was in the land given to Ephraim that the rebellion started.

It is also during this time period that the prophet Elijah comes on the scene. He is a prophet unto the northern kingdom of Israel. Who does 8 miracles.

II Kings: Elisha takes over for Elijah when Elijah is taken up to heaven in a chariot. Elisha also makes a request, to receive a double portion of Elijah’s spirit when he leaves. Elijah grants the wish, if he seems him leave which he does. So how do we know he got a double portion? One way is Elijah did 8 miracles which are recorded and Elisha does 16. Something of interest: The mantle that Elijah drops and Elisha retrieves is believed to have been made of Camel’s hair. Which appears again with John the Baptist. Note the questions the Pharisees ask…”Are you Elijah?”

Chapters 1-10 look mostly to the northern kingdom, the ministry of Elisha, and up to the death of Jehu.
Chapters 11-17 alternates between the two kingdoms and has Jonah, Amos and Hosea who prophecy. One note about Jonah, in the New Testament the High Priest tells someone to study the scriptures and you will see that no prophet arose from Galilee John 7: 52(I had a preacher who believed him) excuse me, Jonah was from Galilee. His home town being Gath-hepher. We had High Priests who didn’t know the scriptures back then and we have them now. So it is your job to study the scriptures. Nahum could be another one from Galilee, there is some question as to where his city is, but one places it in Galilee. Chapter 17 ends with Israel, the northern kingdom going into Assyrian captivity. When Assyria took a people captive they assimilated them into the population, unlike Babylon who allowed a captive people to remain a distinct group.

Chapters 18-25 covers the annals of Judah, the southern kingdom. Their prophets are: Obadiah, Joel, Isaiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, and Jeremiah. If anyone is wondering about the other prophets, they were in the captivity (ie. Ezekiel and Daniel), or came after they got back. And goes up to the Babylonian captivity.

I & II Chronicles is mostly a recap.

A short comparison of the two kingdoms.

The northern kingdom, Israel
• 19 kings reigned for a period of 250 years
• 7 different dynasties
• Assyrian captivity in 721 BC and there was no return

The southern kingdom, Judah
• 20 kings reigned for a period of 370 years
• 1 dynasty-The Davidic
• Babylonian captivity in 606 BC from which they returned 70 years later.

I would also like to take a quick look at a couple of issues that arise in these books.

In II Kings 18 Hezekiah comes to the throne. After David and Solomon, Hezekiah is the best King Judah has. Isaiah was his prophet. Did you notice that Solomon had no prophet? Anyway, in ch. 20 Hezekiah becomes ill and is near death. God sends Isaiah to him in verse 1 and tells him to prepare to die. Hezekiah prays with tears to spare his life and God hears and adds fifteen years to his life. I don’t have enough fingers and toes to tell you the number of times I have heard preachers condemn him for doing this. One of the reasons for the condemnation is during this 15 year period he has a son, Manasseh who is the worst king of them all. They say something along the lines of just go on and die and never question God’s will for your life, or the result could be something bad. Hogwash. These smart preachers who don’t study the word as above, really misrepresent what is going on here. Here is the crux of the matter. Hezekiah has no sons, repeat, no sons to sit on the throne of David, if he were to die at the appointed time. If Hezekiah were to die without any sons the line of David, the perpetual promise would be voided and end. If he were to die God would have to bring him back from the dead to fulfill His promise to David and the linage of Jesus. In the same fashion that Isaac would have had to of been brought back if Abraham was successful in plunging a knife into him. So God could fulfill His promise. As a sign of the healing God moved the sun dial backwards 4 degrees. All calendars all around the world changed in 701 BC. And there is the fabled long night in China. Imagine knowing the day of your death, 15 years hence. O and Manasseh if you make it to heaven you can ask him about his testimony for he repented, and will be there. II Chron. 33: 11-16

Some may be wondering about Ruben, Gad, and half tribe of Manasseh who settled on the east of the Jordan, in the area of the Golan Heights. They were the first to go into Assyrian captivity I Chron. 5: 25, 26 the rest of the northern tribes followed 13 years later.

In the 1800’s maybe late 1800’s this notion of Ten Lost tribes came into existence. It’s based mostly on the Assyrian captivity because there was no return. When the kingdoms divided the southern kingdom worshipped in Jerusalem. To keep his people from going into the southern kingdom twice a year to worship at the Temple in Jerusalem, Jeroboam set up altars of worship in the northern kingdom. What actually happened was a co-migration from north to south and visa versa. If you wanted to worship God in Jerusalem you moved south, and if you wanted relief from the tax burden you moved north. The southern kingdom was still known collectively as Judah, not Judah plus Benjamin and then some Dan, Ephraim, etc… Also all those who were taken into Assyrian captivity were released by the Persians in 536 BC. Two other items to debunk this notion secularly all 12 tribes are evident in post-exile records, and who was James written to, the 12 tribes scattered abroad. James 1: 1.

So what happened to the monarchy, the line of the kings? Well, that line, the Davidic line, encountered a problem. You will have to really pay attention to the names so as to not get confused. In Jeremiah 22: 20-30, God pronounces a curse on Jehoiachin (2 notes here: 1- Jehoiachin’s father was Jehoiakim note the ‘k’ and 2- Jehoiachin has two other names Coniah, Jeconiah) the bottom line of the curse is that he Jehoiachin will never have a child to sit on the throne. If you will note in v. 30 that God says, “…write this man childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days; for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David.” What is meant here is that no son of his will sit on the throne, not that he won’t have any children. You may ask what about Zedekiah? He was Jehoiachin’s brother, not son. Alright, what about Zerubbabel who came back with Ezra after the deportation and end of captivity 70 years later? Well, Zerubbabel didn’t reign as king or sit on David’s throne, he was appointed as governor by Cyrus. If anyone ever asks you why didn’t Joseph sit on David’s throne, you can answer that there was a blood curse on his line through Jehoiachin, so he couldn’t, note the linage in Matthew. So how could the angel tell Mary her son would sit on the throne of David? Joseph was Jesus’ foster father and not blood kin. That would be the second reason for a virgin birth, to fulfill God’s promise that David’s throne would go on into perpetuity. So there is a gap in time between Jeconiah and the next bona fide King of the Jews. This next King comes “…sitting on an ***, and a colt, the foal of an ***.” The Triumphal Entry in Matthew 21: 1-11. Here Jesus presents himself as King and is accepted. About a week later this King Jesus is murdered without having/leaving any children to succeed to the throne. Thus the line of the Davidic throne ends. God’s word cannot be corrupted and He fulfills His promises, so to do that He must resurrect King Jesus, which He does. The last King of the Jews was Jesus and the next King of the Jews will be Jesus.

O & BTW the plaque over Jesus’ head which read “King of the Jews” in three languages, it still exists and is in a museum ….somewhere. I need some help here, it has a weird name something like…reticules.

728–699 Hezekiah
699–643 Manasseh
642–640 Amon
640–609 Josiah
609 Jehoahaz
609–598 Jehoiakim
597 Jehoiachin
597–587 Zedekiah

I tried to include a list of the kings but nothing looked to good, so I suggest if you are looking for something like that you can google it and get some good stuff.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Return to General Bible Study & Debate