John Piper responds to-Common word between Us and You

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

John Piper responds to-Common word between Us and You

Postby perigrini on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:28 am

This is John Piper's response to the document, A Common word between Us and You...which was a published call for dialog between Christians and muslims.

He is 100% right on here....

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?v ... &category=

Blessings,

perigrini
perigrini

Postby perigrini on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:30 pm

I'm not really soliciting posts, but I do hope some or even many of the 41 who viewed this thread watched the video. It's under 10 mins and is so unequivocating that it's inspiring.

Blessings,

perigrini
perigrini

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 am

Maybe I'm not the only member who is still using a dial-up connection. That makes watching videos near impossible. :(
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Be still on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:43 am

Maybe I'm not the only member who is still using a dial-up connection.

:shock: :cry:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby burien1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:32 am

This is well worth the time to watch if you can. If we had more leaders like this man in our churches, we would still be a real christian nation.

A soft-spoken man who speaks truth, that is truly imitating Christ.

YSIC
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby AndCanItBe on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 am

:a3: Definitely worth the watch.

Abiding, this isn't exactly his response that he recorded in the video, you might not be able to discern the heartfelt concern that he displays in the video that is so moving, but here is something in type on his views about this.

Link
Last edited by AndCanItBe on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndCanItBe

Postby perigrini on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:01 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:Maybe I'm not the only member who is still using a dial-up connection. That makes watching videos near impossible. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, although I did allow for such conditions when I hoped that just some and not all would have watched the video.

But I see that several have posted that they did watch, and presumably others watched and didn't comment.

I was just hoping that at least a few did more than click into the post, see very little here and skip checking the video out.

I do appreciate you providing an example of one the reasons why people would skip the link.

God bless,

perigrini
perigrini

Postby Lazarus43 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:06 am

perigrini wrote:I'm not really soliciting posts, but I do hope some or even many of the 41 who viewed this thread watched the video. It's under 10 mins and is so unequivocating that it's inspiring.

Blessings,

perigrini

It is good. Has the alternate response which John Piper mentioned been released?

There is another monotheistic belief system which also vehemently rejects the Lord Jesus Christ and, according to John Piper, therefore worships a different God than Christians worship. It receives massive support from deceived Christians, and its religious leaders have also commented on the "A Common Word Between Us and You" letter. They linked themselves to "the perspectives of Christians" in a statement.

According to an excerpt quoted from "Archbishop of Canterbury meets Chief Rabbis in Jerusalem."

...We look forward to additional opportunities that further the important work of universal religious solidarity. Such solidarity requires us to insist that each others' places of worship, and those of other religions, be regarded by all as sacrosanct and therefore inviolate.

"We also noted with gratitude and appreciation, the further work of the Council of Religious Institutions of the Holy Land as well as the Inter-religious Coordinating Council of Israel, an affiliate of the World Council of Religions for Peace.

In this connection the Chief Rabbis of Israel were particularly pleased to know that the Archbishop of Canterbury has accepted the invitation from Religions for Peace to become a Co-President of its World Council and congratulated him on his work for inter religious peace.. We believe that these are very positive developments which are a clear sign of determination to create structures that can advance principled cooperation and moral solidarity among the Christian, Jewish, Islamic and other religious communities.

"In this connection, we noted the recent letter from Muslim scholars and religious leaders to the Christian Churches. The 'Common Word', though addressed to Christian Churches, also makes clear its respect for Hebrew scripture in citing directly from the Book of Deuteronomy and in acknowledging the inspiration that this provided for their understanding of the Quranic teachings on the unity and love of God and of neighbour. In promoting these values we commit ourselves and encourage all religious leaders to ensure that no materials are disseminated by our communities that work against this vision. We have agreed that in responding to the Common Word, it will be important to consider carefully together how the perspectives of Christians and Jews are properly held together...
*Red coloring added.

Also, quoting from "A response by Peter Ochs, Edgar Bronfman Professor of Jewish Studies at the University of Virginia and Co-founder of the Society for Scriptural Reasoning"

...God bless “A Common Word” and receive it as a powerful contribution to the peace, truth, and justice that uphold the world. This Word is worthy of the tradition of Aaron, and it enhances and extends the tradition of the sage Hillel, who taught that the “disciples of Aaron love peace and the pursuit of peace, love their fellow creatures and seek to draw them to the study of God’s word” (Pirke Avot, 1:12).

A Common Word therefore comes as a gift, as well, to those who practice Judaism, for it does honour and service to the One God whom they acknowledge as sole Creator of the Universe and Redeemer of humankind. It draws into fellowship the two other children of Abraham’s faith, thereby extending Abraham’s blessings to all the nations. In this way, A Common Word contributes to and extends the obligatory service of all Jews to repair the world and bring glory to God’s Name...

"Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also." 1 John 2:22-23 NASB
“A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.” - Mark Twain
Lazarus43

Postby Exit40 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 am

Perigrini, I also don't have dial up so didn't see the video. Time being the constraining factor here, I was able to read at the link ACIB provided. Lazarus, thank you for your contribution as well.

While it is good to see an outreach of sorts happening between the three major religions I doubt this will lead to anything but contempt for each other by all concerned parties. Sadly, apostacy seems to be the factor that will cause failure on the parts of all. I am not talking about the genuine faith of individuals here but the nature of the appointed ( self or supposed ) leaders of their faiths. Time will tell in this matter, but I sense a capitulation in the name of peace coming together.

We live in amazing times

God Bless

David
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Lazarus43 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 am

John Piper's response was to "Loving God and Neighbor Together: A Christian Response to a Common Word Between Us and You."

A couple of the points he made...

"What's missing from this document is a clear statement about what Christianity really is and how we can come together to talk with Muslims from our unique, distinctive, biblical standpoint..."

"The love of God is ... uniquely expressed through Jesus Christ as the propitiation for our sins because he died on the cross and rose again. All those things, Islam radically rejects," Piper said. "So they do not believe in the love of God we believe in."
“A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.” - Mark Twain
Lazarus43

Postby perigrini on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Lazarus43 wrote:It is good. Has the alternate response which John Piper mentioned been released?

I'm not aware of rather it has been released or not, nor if it has additional signers other than Piper.

I wanted to thank you very much for your input on this thread....excellently substantive posts.

To essentially paraphrase the video for those who can't watch it, there was a letter from muslim leaders titled A Common Word that was an invitation to discussion between Christians and Muslims.

There was a group of "Christian" leaders who responded. Their response was vaguely worded with the primary focus echoing the wording from the muslim contengent that was focused around "the love of God".

Piper's response on this video was to suggest that without beginning at the core grounded starting point of Jesus then the response is almost dishonest.
Piper indicated that because muslims reject Jesus they reject the father (as per scripture)...and therefore do not have the same understanding of God's love Christians do.

My paraphrase doesn't do the video justice, however, as I am not nearly as eloquent as Piper.

Blessings,

perigrini
perigrini

Postby Lazarus43 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 pm

If anyone is interested in what the Muslim letter to Christians said:

A Common Word between Us and You (Summary and Abridgement)

I have not read it all, but the authors do seem to be sincere. It is not a diatribe. It begins:

Muslims and Christians together make up well over half of the world’s population. Without peace and justice between these two religious communities, there can be no meaningful peace in the world. The future of the world depends on peace between Muslims and Christians.

The basis for this peace and understanding already exists. It is part of the very foundational principles of both faiths: love of the One God, and love of the neighbour. These principles are found over and over again in the sacred texts of Islam and Christianity. The Unity of God, the necessity of love for Him, and the necessity of love of the neighbour is thus the common ground between Islam and Christianity. The following are only a few examples:

Of God’s Unity, God says in the Holy Qur’an: Say: He is God, the One! / God, the Self-Sufficient Besought of all! (Al-Ikhlas, 112:1-2). Of the necessity of love for God, God says in the Holy Qur’an: So invoke the Name of thy Lord and devote thyself to Him with a complete devotion (Al-Muzzammil, 73:8). Of the necessity of love for the neighbour, the Prophet Muhammad said: “None of you has faith until you love for your neighbour what you love for yourself.”

In the New Testament, Jesus Christ said: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One. / And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. / And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31)

John Piper is right to be concerned that the Christian response must not be to become silent in proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, since violence is not the true Christian method of evangelism, peace is to be desired.

The text of the Christian response, "Loving God and Neighbor Together: A Christian Response to a Common Word Between Us and You," can be read at http://www.yale.edu/faith/abou-commonword.htm

It should be noted that some of the original supporters of the Christian response have withdrawn their support.
Lazarus43

James White Follow's Up

Postby jickes on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 am

James White follows up after John Piper. Read it here.

http://aomin.org/aoblog/index.php?itemid=2482
jickes

Re: James White Follow's Up

Postby Lazarus43 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:15 pm

jickes wrote:James White follows up after John Piper. Read it here.

http://aomin.org/aoblog/index.php?itemid=2482

Another excellent response.
Lazarus43

Return to Whatever (Almost)