Aspartame (Nutrisweet)

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Aspartame (Nutrisweet)

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:08 am

I know many of you on this site prefer healthy lifestyle choices and so I am posting this here as an addition to that. I have been told in the past and have chosen to IGNORE the warnings from my sister-in-law that aspartame (nutrisweet) is a chemical our bodies do not need. When aspartame is heated, even at temps of 89 degrees fehrenheit it turns into wood alcohol which in turn becomes fermaldehyde in our bodies (the same fermaldehyde they use for imbalming bodies before burial). Sorry if I am grossing anyone out but I want to present TRUTH to you and not burry a lie that the FDA and other major money makers are trying to do to us.

I recently came across a wonderful website that I urgently ask you to check out (dorway.com) or even do a search for yourself on aspartame and see what you come up with. I have recently found that even little amounts of aspartame on a daily basis can cause people to have headaches, nausea, eye sight troubles, seizures and the list amounts to at least 92 different reported symptoms. Reading this information has caused me to CEASE drinking all diet sodas and have already felt a decrease in the amount of pain I have due to suffering from fibromyalgia. However, that is just the tip of the iceberg because aspartame is in many other products from yogurts to dry cereals and even gum (see the site for more info).

I love all of you dearly, please consider this information and choose wisely! In KNOW our time on this dying earth is short, but wouldn't you rather feel better and not suffer from ingesting this deadly chemical?! You decide!
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
noble1

Postby glovzz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:06 am

noble, thank you for bringing this up. I heard saccharine was better for you than aspertame but didn't know the specifics of why. I've been having headaches and nausea and alternate between sugar and nutra sweet in my coffee. I'm going to try to use only sugar. Come to think of it, I shouldn't be drinking coffee all day long either :whistle:

Do you know anything about Splenda?
glovzz

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:15 am

glovvz,

Do I know anything about Spenda! Boy, do I ever! I know that when I was on a low cal diet a few years ago I used Splenda in everything from my coffee, my oatmeal and even the sugar-free blue bunny yogurts and ice-cream I was eating. I gave me horrible gas, I felt bloated, dizzy and would have horrible headaches. It wasn't until I did some research on that that I found in order to make Splenda they chlorinate sugar. Yes, they CHLORINATE sugar. Now how many of you can honestly tolerate large amounts of chlorine in your diet? I didn't as a kid growing up being a competitive swimmer nor can I take it now.

I would seriously avoid ALL forms of artificial sweetners and stick to Stevia or there's another one which escapes my memory which is similar in consistency to honey and light brown in color. Guess I'll have to get back to you on that one.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
noble1

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 am

Found this info on Splenda, the actual chemical processing to create Splenda:

Sucrose is tritylated with tritylchloride; This is performed in the presence of dimethylformamide and 4 - methylmorpholine.
The tritylated sucrose is then acetylated with acetic anhydride....

The resulting TRISPA (6,1',6' - tri - O -trityl - penta - O - acetylsucrose) is then chlorinated with hydrogen chloride, in the presence of toluene.

The resulting 4 - PAS (sucrose - 2,3,4,3',4' - penta-acetate) is then heated in the presence of methyl isobutyl ketone and acetic acid.

The resulting mixture, 6 - PAS (sucrose - 2,3,6,3',4' - penta-acetate) is again chlorinated with thionyl chloride, in the presence of toluene and benzyltriethylammoniumchloride...............and,

The resulting TOSPA (sucrose pena-acetate) is then treated with methanol, in the presence of sodium methoxide which produces the commercial product we call:
..........Sucralose, or SPLENDA .

Not only once is sucrose chlorinated but TWICE!!
noble1

Postby bchandler on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 pm

I found an awesome natural sweetener.. Agave nectar... from blue agave cactus... (they make tequila out of it)

The nectar is sweet like honey, but has a very low glycemic index... meaning it takes something like 400% longer for the sugars in this nectar to be absorbed into your blood stream.

Slow absorbtion means no big insuline spikes wich means you don't push your body into fat storage mode.

As a general rule... id you want to lose weight... get a copy of a good Glycemic Index (G.I.) chart, and avoid the foods that are => white sugar, or white bread... and prefer the foods with the lowest G.I. numbers...

What this does is keeps insuline levels low and glucagon levels high, while still getting the carbs the brain needs... When glucagon levels are high, it tells the body to burn fat, and reserve sugar for use by your nervous system.

Combine that with dsome good oldfashioned nutrition and exercise, and I have yet to see someone NOT lose weight.

Zone nutrition is a great way to approach a low G.I. diet.

With regard to soda... carbonated drinks are poisonous... period... CO2 is an ACID... It makes your body acid at a cellular level... cellular acidosis is a REQUIREMENT in order for cancer cells to survive!!!! CO2 is also one of your body's natural waste products... you wouldn't eat any other form of waste (Yucky!) that comes out of your body... why would you eat CO2!??

Stick with good whole fruit and veggie juices.. as these promote cellular alkilosis... and are the cure for cancer(IMO)... The fresher the better, and non-pasturized.

If you want some good information on how proper cellular alkilization promots DNA, and cell replicative health, and over all health... The books by research chemist Dr. Robert Barefoot "Death by Diet", and "The Calcium Factor" are good reads (IMO).
bchandler

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:46 pm

Yup, that's it "agave nectar." I have some at home, but haven't used it for quite some time. Must have forgot about it due to the memory loss from aspartame.

I knew I could count on you bchandler to tell us! :banana:
noble1

Postby glovzz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Hey bchandler! I'll have to try your suggestion.

:shock: I guess sugar in the raw is the safest sweetener. My mother-in-law has been using Stevia for years, even when it was banned. I'm going to research this. I'm not crazy about the taste of Stevia, but it is an acquired taste like all other sweeteners.

Gotta go help my husband shovel his way out the driveway. I see you are in WI noble. Happy shoveling! :grin: I'm taking a snow day today. :banana:
glovzz

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:04 pm

We didn't get much, but what we did get was a bunch of wet slop! We're expecting rain for the remainder of the day. Now my sister and brother who live near Omaha, they are getting pounded with blizzard conditions. They could use your prayers!

On another note about aspartame, I did notice that once I stopped drinknig the diet soda that my sugar cravings subsided BIG TIME!!! I can also have a little piece of "dove" chocolate and not want to eat the whole bag. Now THERE Is progress for a sugar-holic like me!
noble1

Postby Abbershay on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm

sugar is sounding sweeter all the time.
Abbershay

Postby nonymouse on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm

Real maple syrup is a great sweetener for things like oatmeal (w/cinnamon, maple syrup, peaches and milk). Additional protein (such as a cooked egg) helps to offset any possible blood sugar spike.

Blessings,
Last edited by nonymouse on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:24 pm

abbershay,

White refined sugar is an addictive poison to your body.

By processing the sugar to make it white, the refiner removes everything good about the product, including all the natural compounds that would help you use the sugars without excess insuline...

What this means is that the only way for your body to process these sugars is with INSULINE... and insuline spikes mean weight gain... and carb crashes... and cravings for more sugar... an endless viscious cycle...

If you use any sweetener, the closer to raw the better.. this goes for agave, honey, beet-sugar, or cane-sugar. I would also avoid anything that contains the words "high-fructose corn syrup"... as this stuff isn't just high fructose.., it is chemicaly modified into something that doesn't occur anywhere in nature... same as any partially or fully hydrogenated fats... known today as trans fats... The are un-natural, and harmful to your health.. period...

You might as well be eating rat poison... but this stuff will kill you slowly enough so you don't realize it's rat poison... and slowly enough you can't sue the food companies for putting this addictive, body chemistry altering grabage into your food supply.
bchandler

Postby Abbershay on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:31 pm

I have eaten sugar beats and cane sugar and they taste the same as refined to me , The only difference is that that they are not granular.

I have cut my sugar intake at all different levels and it makes no difference in me at all.

Aspertane however does make me sick.
Abbershay

Postby bchandler on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Additional protein (such as a cooked egg) helps to offset any blood sugar spike.

Now you are talking Zone nutrition Nony...

The very basis of zone nutrition is to get adequate protien at each meal/snack, and then balance that protien with proper amounts of good fats, and low G.I. carbs.

Carbs are not bad... just we eat to many of them, and we eat all the wrong forms.

Look... when you fatten an animal for slaughter what do you feed it?

Molassesed grain... Lots, and lots of low fat high carbohydrate grain.

If we do this to animals to make them fat for slaughter... what in the world makes us believe that a low fat high carb diet will do anything different to humans...

But this is precisely what the FDA, and ADA recommend as a "healthy" diet. What you have to understand about the FDA's balanced food pyramid is that it is more about aupporting various food industry sectors than it ever was about heath, and looking out for Americans.
bchandler

Postby nonymouse on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:43 pm

Speaking of molasses, it is full of trace minerals and makes an excellent food supplement in daily, very small amounts (reported to help hair darken, prevent muscle cramps, among other things). At one time, molasses and apple cider vinegar were considered to be two of the most potent food supplements available (and may be still).

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:46 pm

bchandler,
Seems to me you KNOW your stuff! Are you a doctor or a nutritionist?
noble1

Yay BCChandler

Postby Tricia71 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:14 pm

I have a question..I have taken a liking to sparkling water..non sweetened...is that just as bad as the soda regarding effects on cells?

I am so happy to hear you talk about these things adn to learn more from you. I am passionate about what you are saying..and know we have plagues of disease because of the things we take into our bodies much less breath.

Common sense really..., although I fail and eat fast food sometimes...without the bun of course! But anyway, fed my babies organic Earths best baby food...to give them a good start and there is pestisides in regular baby food..so sad.

I also shop for common snacks for them at the organic market. Seems that people are catching on, I am noticing a big change in using canola or non hydrogenated oils in many products now..thank goodness.

Happy thursday to you all!
Tricia
Tricia71

Postby bchandler on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:04 pm

I am NOT a doctor or a nutritionist.. though I would love to get a degree in nutritional medicine.

I acquired type 2 diabetes... a symptom of metabolic syndom X... in researching this condition... it's causes... and it's potential cures... I learned a whole lot about what is wrong with our food supply chain, the FDA, FTC, and ADA.

Tricia71, CO2 is CO2... unfortunately... Ya i like the occassional soda, and soda water... but I have gotten to the point that I feel so dramatically bad after consuming them it is no longer worth it to me.

My advice is... invest in a good quality juicer... and make your own fruit, veggie, and mellon juices.

never mix mellons with anything... even other mellons... they have conflicting enzymes.

it's generally ok to mix fruits with fruits and veggies with veggies.... but apple is good with both, and can help with allowing you to sweeten an otherwise less than pallatable veggie juice.

As for nutritive oils... as a general rule... if it can sit in a clear bottle outside the refrigerator without going rancid... it is of little nutritional value...

I use the following oils:

extra virgin olive oil - general cold food/sauce use, and salad dressings.
light olive oil - General medium temperature cooking oil only.
peanut or macadamia nut oil - General High temperature cooking.

But... IMO... the king of all nutritive oils are DHA and EPA. Generally found in fish oil products.

If you take an omega3 fish oil supplement... at least 50% of the total dosage should be a combination of DHA and EPA. I personally preffer products higher in DHA content... as this is healthy for the brain and nervous system and what doesn't get used goes back down the delta 6 desaturase enzyme pathway and is retro converted back into EPA.

If you want to know more about these oils... do a thread search on the key words DHA and EPA... I have discussed it extensively before.
bchandler

Re: Aspartame (Nutrisweet)

Postby susanah on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:52 pm

noble1 wrote:I know many of you on this site prefer healthy lifestyle choices and so I am posting this here as an addition to that. I have been told in the past and have chosen to IGNORE the warnings from my sister-in-law that aspartame (nutrisweet) is a chemical our bodies do not need. When aspartame is heated, even at temps of 89 degrees fehrenheit it turns into wood alcohol which in turn becomes fermaldehyde in our bodies (the same fermaldehyde they use for imbalming bodies before burial). Sorry if I am grossing anyone out but I want to present TRUTH to you and not burry a lie that the FDA and other major money makers are trying to do to us.

I recently came across a wonderful website that I urgently ask you to check out (dorway.com) or even do a search for yourself on aspartame and see what you come up with. I have recently found that even little amounts of aspartame on a daily basis can cause people to have headaches, nausea, eye sight troubles, seizures and the list amounts to at least 92 different reported symptoms. Reading this information has caused me to CEASE drinking all diet sodas and have already felt a decrease in the amount of pain I have due to suffering from fibromyalgia. However, that is just the tip of the iceberg because aspartame is in many other products from yogurts to dry cereals and even gum (see the site for more info).

I love all of you dearly, please consider this information and choose wisely! In KNOW our time on this dying earth is short, but wouldn't you rather feel better and not suffer from ingesting this deadly chemical?! You decide!

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia shortly after a car accident about 14 yrs ago. A few years ago I went to see a naturopath who said I didn't have it at all...but my body was very acidic. He said no carbonated beverages at all. He said it takes 32 glasses of water to neutralize the acid in 1 coke. I cut out the soda and tried adding a lot of alkalizing foods to my diet and have noticed a big difference. And when I cheat and drink a soda I feel it the next day. Didn't know if this might help.
susanah

Postby noble1 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:30 am

susanah,

I've been in three car accidents and have had numerous slips/falls in ice or whatever. I've really noticed a decrease in how badly I have been feeling since I've cut out drinking diet soda and cola beverages. I still drink white soda if my tummy is upset...but my main issue next to deal with will be coffee. Now I only have maybe 2 cups (DILUTED WITH WATER, so that they are like half cups of coffee, water and some creamer) in the morning and that's it for the rest of the day...so my body can't be too acidic. I do suffer from weather related fibro...when its wet/humid outside my muscles hurt beyond belief...almost like someone is squeezing me in a vice. When its dry I'm only a little achey.

bchandler,

My favorite oil to put into foods, etc. is Udo's oil (udoerasmus.com)...I don't cook with it, I just make my salad dressing (oil/vinegar/seasonings) with it and add it to smoothies or even my oatmeal. I really need to get back into using it...as I fear my stomach problems are for a lack of good oils in my diet. SIGH!!! Who said life would be so much work?!
noble1

Postby wschaub on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:54 am

I don't believe the hype about normal sugar being bad for you. that only serves the people with the REAL poison which is the artifical sweetners. If you are not diabetic then I would strongly sugest sticking to regular sugar in moderation. or even using more natural things like brown sugar etc. I wish more people would listen to me when i tell them nutrisweet is bad for them but they just shrug me off and try to convince me to drink their diet soda, or switch to nutrisweet which is NOT going to happen.
wschaub

Postby bchandler on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:01 am

Susanah,

Udo's is a blend of flax and borage if I remember correctly... an excellent product.

wschaub,

White sugar, like white flour, is an unnatural substance... man made... not of God... it has been stripped of all of it's goodness leaving behind only the illusion of goodness... the sweet taste.

For that reason I highly recommend that you use whole, natural sweetners, flours, and oils.

Never refined, artificial, hydrogenated or bleached/whitened products.

Think about this... in the Lord's prayer he states "give us this day our daily bread". It used to be that bread was made daily...why? Because the natural healthy oils found in the outer bran portions of grains would go rancid in about 1-2 days after being ground into flour and baked into bread. Hence baking was a daily necessity.

Modern man, in his infinite ability to make foolishness wise, found ways to "bleach" flour and remove these oils and extend the shelf life of their products. But in doing so... again they remove all the goodness, leaving behind a mere illusion of food. The wheat gluten... in other words, the sugars.

The same with food and cooking oils... the primary source of oil in the American diet used to be flax seed oil... but it is very volatile, and can go rancid in as little as 30 min under the right conditions... so it had to be placed in cool/cold storage, kept away from light, and exposed to air as little as possible.

It was the food industry that created refined, high temperature processed oils that can sit on your store shelf in nice clear bottles and never go bad. Again man in his foolishness has removed everything good in these refined products.

As a general rule... if bacteria won't eat it as food... neither should you. So if it won't spoil if left out... DON'T EAT IT!!

And the worst is the artificial foods... hydrogenated oils.

These are not refined from nature, but are completely artificial, requiring a catalytic reaction in the presence of nickle to form very strange molecular bonds. These unnatural molecular bonds have very strange affects on your metabolic processes. Including induction of a condition known as metabolic syndrome x.... from which many of the plagues modern man suffers from are born... just some of the conditions that are believed to result from metabolic syndrome x are:
    Adult onset type 2 Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Arterio Schlerosis
    Athero Schlerosis
    Fatty Liver disease
    High Blood Pressure
    High Cholesterol
    High Tri-Glycerides
    ADD, ADHD, HDD
    Alzhiemers
    Multiple Schlerosis (thought to be an immune system response to fat metabolism changes induced by long term consumption of these artificial fats)
    Schlerosis of the Liver (Proven in the documentary experience "Super Size me") as if you were an alchohol abuser.
    Stroke (resulting from some of the previous conditions)

Remember that your entire nervous system is essentially made of fats/cholesterols. If you give your body these artificial fats to work with instead of good healthy fats, it is expected that neurological issues would eventually arise.

By the same token, cellular membranes are made up of mostly fats/cholesterols... hence if you only give your body artificial, and non-nutritive fats to work with... you would eventually expect to find some irregularities in the cell membranes which is indeed what we find....membrane rigidity, and loss of cell nutrient receptor sites!!!

This loss of receptor sites is one of the primary causes of type 2 diabetes. As receptor sites for insuline are lost, the need for the body to produce excess insuline to target the declining number of receptors increases. Eventually burning out the insuline producing cells in the pancrease. When your body can no longer create enough insuline... bingo.... adult onset type 2 diabetes!

Lastly, these artificial foods are addictive... the food conglomerates KNOW THIS!!! The same doctors who sit on the food conglomerate boards also sit on the boards of giant pharmaceutical companies!!!

They are poisoning you, and addicting you... and they KNOW IT!!! Then they are creating the drugs to help manage your chronic, life threatening conditions FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

In other words... they are deliberately creating a class of medically dependant slaves, who MUST support them financially, politically and legislatively or risk death. All in the name of fiduciary responsibility to share-holders

So again back to basics...

Artificial anything... don't eat it... it isn't food!

White/bleached anything... don't eat it... it isn't food!

As much raw as possible
Animal products from animals raised on non-grain vegetable feeds.
Breads from freshly ground whole grains
Real butter/dairy, from non-Holstein variety cows.. Raw (unpasteurized) sources are best!
Nutritive oils (not high temp extracts)such as:
    Olive
    Peanut
    Macadamia
    Flax
    coco butter (excellent immune system builder)
    Sea Fish body oils (omega3s, especially EPA and DHA)

Reduce starchy foods such as rice, corn, potatoes.

Avoid non-nutritive oils such as:
    Rape seed
    Cotton seed
    some say even canola
    Soy
    etc... (to many to list)

Life is pretty simple really... God made man first and foremost a vegetarian... It wasn't until after the flood that God told man he would use animal's for a food source. Check it out for yourself.

It is man, and all his modern methods for raising animals and processing foods that has created our disease and cancer riddled society.
bchandler

Postby noble1 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:47 am

bchandler,
You've certainly done your research and are rather passiontate about your findings. I need to get back to whole foods...but its such a struggle!

Here's the stuff on Udo's...

Udo's Choice Oil Blend is a carefully blended mix of the finest Omega 3, 6 and 9 varieties of Essential Fatty Acid sources. This premium-quality product has a pleasant light nutty flavor and is easily mixed with health shakes, protein drinks, or, added as a topping to salads and vegetables!

And the link to the page where you can read more:

http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm
noble1

Postby bchandler on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks for the web link noble1... I had seen Udo's products before.. .but had ignored them because I was on my own program, and didn't want to make changes atthat time...

However... looking this site over.. I have to say... what awesome products all the way around. The inclusion of evening primrose was pleasantly surprising, and they are correct it has awesome anti-microbial (bacteria, mold, viruse, parasites) properties.

The only caution I have regarding EFAs that are precursors to EPA and DHA (ALA, CALA, GLA, DGLA) is that if your metabolism isn't in proper balance these precursors can get turned into Arachadonic Acid, AA, (very bad) instead of EPA and DHA... which is why I always recommend the dietary changes I do as well as a solid DHA/EPA supplement.

If you have a healthy, low glydemic diet... then getting your EFAs in the form of ALA(flax) and GLA(borage/oatmeal) and allowing your body to turn them into EPA/DHA is still good.

But I would still suggest a good DHA/EPA supplement to help buffer your metabolism against switching into AA production mode for those times when you fall off your (nutritional program) wagon.

your body needs very little GLA, and too much can spill over into AA production. Good organic steel cut oats(NOT INSTANT) 1-2 times a week will provide all the GLA you need, but it's a really starchy food so combine it with good fats and adequate protiens.
bchandler

Postby noble1 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:14 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over my head bchandler! Please put your lovely post into "baby food" for easier processing for me...thanks!!
noble1

Postby braveheart on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:31 pm

hi all,

i did some research a while back on aspartame and found that it actually penetrates the 'blood brain barrier' and messes around with your brain cells and can cancers etc and general ill health. i find it so sad that fda etc allow this kind of stuff in the food chain when the whole purpose of the fda and the u.k. equivalent is to prevent such prodcuts into the food chain.

noble1 and susanah,
you guys should do two things to help your fybromyalgia/illness.
have you heard of colloidal silver? and more importantly have you heard of glyconutrients?

fybromyalgia is an auto immune disorder or basically your cells in your immune system are confused. my mom knows of someone who suffered from fybromyalgia and she took glyconutrients and within months was off her meds!

what glyconutrients do is provide your body with the correct nutrients to enable your body's cells to communicate properly with each other and as result you feel a whole lot better.

i suffered from ulcerative colitis and use glyconutrients and colloidal silver daily to maintain my health.

here's some info for you to read.

www.glycoscience.com

i would be overjoyed if this info changed your quality of life. please lord let it be.

blessings.

p.s. It is man, and all his modern methods for raising animals and processing foods that has created our disease and cancer riddled society.

bchandler you are so right!
The difference between islam and christianity. In islam you are expected to die for your god. In christianity your god loved you so much, he died for you.
braveheart

Postby Marite on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Hey friends,

Wow! Do I need this! Before I came here I could count the number of times I had been sick in my lifetime on one hand, now, o, la, la! Six years ago I fell out of the bed of my pickup, tearing all of the ligaments in my right knee; the doctor said he would have to wait until the swelling went down before he could operate. Because of the fact I wore thongs instead of shoes and not being able to fully extend my knee I developed spurs on my heals, which they treated with anti-inflammatory drugs for about eight months. When they checked my blood pressure before the operation, the doctor almost fainted, 220 over 160, so now I have high blood pressure! Last year, in January, they tested me for diabetes, and again the doctor got real excited, my blood sugar level was at 4.83, he said if it reached 5.00 I would have to be hospitalized. (The Lord intervened, and in just one week of taking the medicine it dropped to 1.50, 1.10 being normal) Last October I got sick with a virus that cut the nerve going to the balance portion of my right ear, which gave me vertigo and I couldn’t eat without vomiting. I lost about ten pounds then, but as of today I have gained back thirty. I’ve tried cutting back on my eating, but it seems that if I don’t eat the vertigo gets worse! After reading all of this it seems we are eating all of the wrong things, rice is a main staple, bread made daily from white flour, …and oh yes, my blood sugar is up to 2.83. Can you please help me, and explain what kinds of foods and how much we should be eating in layman’s language (I’m a dingbat framer from California), when I looked on the Internet it seems everyone wants to sell something and we don’t have a credit card, please keep it real simple, we don’t have Von’s or Albertson’s, but there are a lot of open air markets where we can buy our produce. Thanks!

In His Love, marite
Marite

Postby Passion on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:48 pm

glovzz wrote:Hey bchandler! I'll have to try your suggestion.

:shock: I guess sugar in the raw is the safest sweetener. My mother-in-law has been using Stevia for years, even when it was banned. I'm going to research this. I'm not crazy about the taste of Stevia, but it is an acquired taste like all other sweeteners.

Gotta go help my husband shovel his way out the driveway. I see you are in WI noble. Happy shoveling! :grin: I'm taking a snow day today. :banana:

I've had the bad-taste problem with stevia, as well, but I've found two brands that are fine. One is Stevia Plus, in a green box, and the other--which is better yet--is the Now brand--called Now Stevia Balnce. Like Stevia Plus, it has inulin and chromium--both good for blood sugar. You were saying this used to be banned!? Crazy--it's just a plant! I've grown it (although when I tried drying the leaves and then grinding them up, they tasted terrible!).

Boy, is this thread right down my alley, as I've had many health problems for years. Most of them I've gotten under control thanks to my Naturopath (and ultimately GOD!:-)) I too, had mild fibromyalgia, and terrible clinical depression. The fibromyalgia is pretty much gone--it only hurts if someone pokes me in the shoulder with a finger, or puts pressure in some areas. The depression is gone as if it never existed! What my dr. had me take for these was fish oil and cod liver oil pills, with natural vit. E (the mixed tocopherol kind) so the oils don't oxidize in my veins. And besides, vit. E is good for so much else!

I used to be mildly hypoglycemic, as well. This was years before I started seeing a Naturopath, and the dr . who discovered the problem told me to keep candy with me at all times....oh yeah, that was good advice! :roll: My chiropractor told me to skip the candy and simply eat more protein (I wasn't eating much meat at the time). I did and have not had a problem with blood sugar since.
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

--Mica 7:7-8

Passion

Postby bchandler on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Noble1 and Marite,

It's hard to put this in "baby food" terms... but the short answer is "zone nutrition"

Pick up Dr. Barry sears books, Entering the Zone, and The Omega RX Zone. They will do an awesome job of helping you to understand the metabolic processes I have discussed here.

Now let's see if I can d this in ways u will understand.

All hormones work in pairs. Insulin's pair is glucagon.

Insulin tells the body... we have too much sugar... everyone burn sugar and store fat. Insuline also switches all 3 trillion of your cells from normal mode, to stress(fight or flight) mode. In this mode the body turns EFA precursors into AA the bad fat I talked about in my other post.

This bad fat is a precursor to an entire class of intracellular stress hormones.

Alternately, when insuline levels are low, glucagon is high... this switches the body into fat burning mode, and also pushes the EFA precursors down the non-stress pathway to make things like EPA and DHA which in turn get turned into an entire class of non-stress good eicosanoid hormones.

This is why it is desirable to avoid foods that cause large blood sugar spikes... and it is why diabetics gain weight so easily and find it so hard to lose.

Zone nutrition is NOT A DIET!! It is a life long style of eating that has the potential to allow your body to heal a lot of the damage done by our modern processed food diet.

Adding pharmaceutical grade fish oil to your diet makes it easier to stay in this accelerated, healthy, fat burning zone.

This is also why learning to avoid fast sugar, and replace it with slowly absorbed sugars is important. It extends the time over which sugar is absorbed, evening out your insuline response and keeping glucagon levels high enough to avoid the switch out of fat burning mode.

Buy the books, or borrow them... and do some reading... it isn't that complicated once he leads you through it.

The only disagreement I have with him is that he thinks man evolved these needs for primarily sea food based EFAs... other than that... I think he has discovered some astoundingly important things about how God made us... and maybe why animal sources of food became necessary after the flood.
bchandler

Postby greendarner on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:25 am

"Nourishing Traditions" is also a great book (with delicious recipes) that discusses all of this. I was facinated at all the garbabe that we feed ourselves all the while thinking that we are eating "nutritionally". I learned ALOT about REAL nutrition!

The only problem I have is that apparently raw (unpasturised) dairy is recommended and raw dairy is illegal in my state. So short of getting my own cow there is little I can do about that.
greendarner

Postby StrongInTheLord on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:51 am

Green, depending on what state you live in...you still may be able to get raw milk. Here in Florida, it can be sold but it must be labeled "not for human consumption".

Check out your local health food store. Ask them about this.

Ysic,
SitL's wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis

Sui generis: The term used to describe the form of government that is the EU.
StrongInTheLord
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:31 am

There are a couple of Raw dairy shippers that send Raw dairy products all over the US, and use non-holstien variety cows.

The reason that this is important is:

Holstein's were bred specifically to give an excessive amount of milk.
    Holstein's accomplish this feat via an enlarged pituitary gland.
    Holstein milk contains a much higher concentration of saturated fats as a result of their breeding.
    non-holstein breeds such as jersey or gurnsey produce milk with much higer levels of CLA (Congugated Linoleic Acid) as it's fat source.
    Non-holstein breeds CLA is broken down by the human body into 3 ALA molecules... so the CLA which is a borderline fat, becomes an omega three fat when broken down by the human digestive system.

As for Raw... Raw dairy is an anti-allergenic (it actually can cure allergies) according to the producers. It is very digestible, where after pasturization it becomes almost indigiestible by humans.

Raw dairy colostrum (first 24 hours of milk after calving) is promoted as being able to cure a wide variety of ailments... including I believe arthritis.

Interestingly, it is noted that all milk borne infections that have entered our population have come through the grade A "closed" systems of pasturizing dairys.

There hasn't been a raw milk borne disease in the US in something like a hundred years... and not because raw isn't consumed... but because raw dairy requires "open" milking systems that can be inspected and cleaned... and must be kept clean.

Where as closed pasturization farmers don't "have to" keep their systems as clean and can rely on pasturization to protect their customers... rather than their systems cleanliness. Kinda yucky when you think of these closed systems and how gunked up they can get between cleanings.

Unfortunately raw dairy products can be quite expensive... I have seen them as high as 14 dollars per gallon.

Alternatively... If you have room to keep a pet goat... but not a cow...lol.

Another approach to acquire raw dairy would be to partner with someone who has some land and board your own cow with them... have them be responsible for the care, feeding, and milking... and share the milk with them... one cow can ussually provide enough milk for about 20 people.

And then you can make your own butter, skim fresh cream for a variety of uses, and even make your own cheeses if you are adventurous.

In addition... every time the cow dries up and you breed her... you get a beef cattle that you can raise and be assured that it eats an all grass diet, and is never fed grain... grain finishing cattle causes them to accumulate excessive amounts of the stress fat AA... same with chicken eggs produced by chickens fed grain based diets... and farmed salmon.

That is why I only buy eggs from farmers who feed non-grain feeds to their chickens, and the same for farmed fish, and I try to buy grass fed/finished beef or buffalo.
bchandler

Postby bugtussle on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks for all of the info guys. You have certainly given me alot to think about. :a2:
For the Lord is good and His love endures forever. His mercy will never fail. Amen.
bugtussle

Postby noble1 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks bchandler! You have certainly given me much to think about..and I will definitely try to get my hands on those books you recommended. I have another book (can't recall the name of it) by Dr. Mercola who has some great insight as well (being a wholistic doctor)...you can check out his website if you'd like at mercola.com.

Blessings!
YSIC,
Trish
noble1

Postby noble1 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:02 am

Here's a link to the book I mentioned...I guess I may have gotten weighed down by all of the technical terms used in the book and maybe need to absorb a little bit of it at a time to understand it all.

http://www.mercola.com/forms/total_health_book.htm
noble1

Postby susanah on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm

I have been reading a ton about diet and nutrition lately and of course there is no way to wade through it all and some of it contradicts what I read somewhere else. My husband and I are basically trying to eat our food in as close of a state as the way God made it. Whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies...many of them raw. We also started juicing carrots recently...another controversial topic. I can't tolerate much because of reactive hypoglycemia, but my hubby is feeling great on this diet. He recently pulled something in his back, which he does occasionally, and he was surprised how quickly it healed up this time. We also cut out animal products but don't know if that is just for now to clean our systems out and allow them to heal or if we will do it long term. We will just continue to pray for God's guidance in our eating habits. Not only are we feeling better physically but it has helped us in the battle of the flesh with food.
susanah

Postby noble1 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am

Well, its been four weeks now since I stopped eating or drinking anything with aspartame in it and I am feeling tons better. I've noticed a GREAT decrease in my cravings for chocolate or sweets and can actually stay out of the stash of candy at work and at home! Praise God for that!!! I've also had fewer headaches and generally less pain due to fibromyalgia as well. I'm sure it has helped that I'm back on my treadmill and getting a bit more exercise too.

I'll keep you posted on any other developments as I notice them.

Blessings!
noble1

Postby Spreading Salt on Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:06 am

:shock:

No wonder we're so messed up!!!
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby casegreti on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:31 am

noble 1,
Just a suggestion, The Prescription for Nutritional Healing says
that Olive Leaf extract has been reported to be helpful for fibromyalgia by doctors and patients. This book can be found (for references) at many
health food stores. Alternatively try searching on the web for info
on Olive Leaf. Very interesting thread!
casegreti
casegreti

Postby noble1 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:29 am

casegreti,
Thanks for the information! I will check it out the next time I am at our health food store. I need to get some more Udos anyway!
noble1

Postby susanah on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:51 pm

casegreti wrote:noble 1,
Just a suggestion, The Prescription for Nutritional Healing says
that Olive Leaf extract has been reported to be helpful for fibromyalgia by doctors and patients. This book can be found (for references) at many
health food stores. Alternatively try searching on the web for info
on Olive Leaf. Very interesting thread!

That is a great book. Some of the info is controversial (as in many cases with natural healing) but I think anyone into natural healing should own a copy of it.
susanah

Postby greendarner on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:05 am

So has anyone here read Nurishing Traditions?

If so, what are your thoughts?
greendarner

Postby casegreti on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:45 am

Nourishing Traditions seems to be right on target. The research is there.
Sally Fallon expands on the researching which Weston Price did. He
started the Weston Price Foundation which you can look up on the net.
She also has a LOT of information in the first section and the margins. The only
difficulty I had with the book was that some of her recipes were a bit exotic for our
Italian/American tastes. But I just change them to fit what we like. Her nutritional
advice (based on the research) is a very good model to go by, and she also has
tips for those of us on a restricted budget. I go back and read excerpts often to
keep on track. Otherwise we tend to forget the good stuff.
casegreti
casegreti

Postby Passion on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Has anyone here read "Healing Children Naturally" by Michael Savage? It's supposed to be excellent; and the reason I'm curious (since my kids are grown!) is, if it's good advice on how to heal kids naturally, I wonder if the same techniques would work for adults. I haven't read it myself, but if any of you have an d recommend it, I would buy it.

He has some kind of PHD in nutrition or herbal botany or something like that....I can't remember what it's called and didn't see it on his website. :read:
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

Passion

Postby soundingthealarm on Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:11 pm

[quote="Passion"]
I've had the bad-taste problem with stevia, as well, but I've found two brands that are fine. One is Stevia Plus, in a green box, and the other--which is better yet--is the Now brand--called Now Stevia Balnce. Like Stevia Plus, it has inulin and chromium--both good for blood sugar. [quote]

I want to thank you noble 1 for starting this thread, and providing such good information. And Passion, thank you for the additional information on stevia. I have had extremely bad experiences with aspertame as well. I had a terrible reaction when I began putting it in everything I drank. When the reaction eventually cleared I was horrified to see how many products had it as an ingredient. The only gum I chew now is chicklets. All of Wrigley's brands has aspertame as an ingredients, even the ones that are not sugarless!

Blessings
soundingthealarm
Supporting Member

Postby Passion on Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:29 pm

You're welcome! There's also another natural sweetener that Dr. Wright (the Founder/Director of the clinic I go to) recommends. The name is something like lo mann or lo mon....like everything else, I can't remember exactly (good ole' perimenopause! I've found that gingko helps--when I remember to take it. I'm not kidding! :roll: )

Anyway, glad you've found one answer to your health dilemma, and are feeling better!

Passion

Postby Final Trumpet on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:43 pm

This is a great thread. :clap2:

I have MS and have had some pretty severe issues with it of late. I had a bad excurbation about two months ago that I have not recovered from yet. It started with my vision being doubled and a week later I went into an episode I have had in the past (where I was so dizzy I was throwing up continually and had to go to the emergency room to get it under control). Then a couple of weeks later I started having numbness in my lower legs and feet and then the numbness struck my lower body and especially in my mid-section causing me severe bladder problems. It has been a struggle.

I started a nutritional program and changed my diet. I started taking several supplements. The biggest problem I have had with the dietary changes is that I cannot do them completely. I have a limited pallet and have had to stretch it to be able to eat. The supplements hopefully will make up for some of that. I also have just started taking bee pollen to see if that will also help(my aunt who has MS has said that it has helped her).

The other problem is that eating healthy is horribly expensive. However, this is part of what our "system" is doing. The healthy foods are not affordable, but the bad stuff is cheap and thus keeping people enslaved to the medical industry. Definately makes sense to what you were saying BC. The medical industry is not about helping people, but in keeping the profits up. It is a barbarous system that feeds off the sickness and suffering of others. And now they are trying to stop the ability to buy supplements and of living healthy. I agree that the way foods are made and manufactured is part of why we have so many people with health issues.

Two more suggestions The Swank Diet and The Gold Coast Cure are two other health diets out there. They were really more geared toward MS sufferers, but can be used by others with other conditions.
Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain; let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of Jehovah cometh, for it is nigh at hand
Joel 2:1

Days of Noah

"About the time of the end, a body of men will be raised up who will turn their attention to the prophecies, & insist on their literal interpretations, in the midst of much clamor & opposition."
Sir Isaac Newton

Final Trumpet

Postby jesusphreak on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:09 pm

noble1 wrote:glovvz,

Do I know anything about Spenda! Boy, do I ever! I know that when I was on a low cal diet a few years ago I used Splenda in everything from my coffee, my oatmeal and even the sugar-free blue bunny yogurts and ice-cream I was eating. I gave me horrible gas, I felt bloated, dizzy and would have horrible headaches. It wasn't until I did some research on that that I found in order to make Splenda they chlorinate sugar. Yes, they CHLORINATE sugar. Now how many of you can honestly tolerate large amounts of chlorine in your diet? I didn't as a kid growing up being a competitive swimmer nor can I take it now.

I would seriously avoid ALL forms of artificial sweetners and stick to Stevia or there's another one which escapes my memory which is similar in consistency to honey and light brown in color. Guess I'll have to get back to you on that one.

They chlorinate drinking water, too... (just trying to say that I don't think it is necessarily bad that they chlorinate sugar).
Last edited by jesusphreak on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jesusphreak

Postby notsure on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:37 pm

This is a GREAT thread! Thanks to all who've posted.

My experience is with both refined sugar and aspartame. Aspartame affects my joints something terrible. I blow up like a balloon. I didn't realize it was that at first but I started to drink diet soda to lose weight (replaced the regular soda)...so I lost the weight because I wasn't getting those excess calories...ANYWAY, I started having joint problems. I thought maybe I was getting arthritis or something.

Well the problem kept getting worse and worse, to the point where I could barely climb a flight of stairs. Some of my fingers were swollen, I couldn't bend them without extreme pain. I had swelling under the balls of my feet so I couldn't walk without pain. I remember walking into the store thinking I'm shuffling like I'm 90 years old!

thanks to no insurance at that time, I started to research joint swelling and found an obscure little site about some people reacting badly to aspartame in diet foods. I stopped with the diet drinks and anything else that had this sweetener in it.... GUESS WHAT... within 2 months ALL of my swelling was gone.

But I still craved my sweets...so I went back to the regular sugary soda. Gained all the weight back (and about 5 pounds more). After reading this post some time ago, I quit the sugary soda ... that was really hard!! I was so miserable the first few days, and yes I cheated and had a couple sodas but I did feel really sick...dragged out, no energy, my complexion took on that shallow look with the dark bags under my eyes.

So again I am stopping. I cannot believe this is so hard for me to quit the sugar....???

But just wanted to say thanks...
notsure

Postby richg on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:43 am

bchandler, I really like many things you have said including stuff about glycemic index. Good advice. I disagree with you about the CO2 in soda, however. Firstly, carbonic acid is a weak acid. A larger concern would be the phosphoric acid that they add to many sodas. Nonetheless, the stomach naturally contains HYDROCHLORIC acid, (which I'm sure you are aware), which is very strong indeed. Carbon dioxide levels are quickly buffered by the body, were any to be absorbed. However, there are many who do propose that acidifying the body enables many diseases including cancer. I do know of a few older folks that drink soda all the time, and are relatively healthy. One has to remember, though, that everyone's biochemistry is a little bit different, and to be aware of all the factors that MAY cause individual problems. I also feel that there's really no reason to even consume certain things, or the quantities that the corporate world tries to push on the consumer. :(

Sugar abounds. A "little" 12 oz can of soda has like 40 grams of sugar in it. And for heaven's sake, I hope no one out there ever buys one of those "biggie" or super-size 32 oz or even 64 oz drinks!!!!!!! That much junk is not EVEN fit for consumption. I recommend everyone watch a movie called "Supersize Me", in which a guy ate nothing but fast food for 30 days. :puke:

Look at labels - there is sugar in almost everything. Many breakfast cereals considered "healthy" are almost equivalent to eating vitaminized cake or cookies.

bchandler, what do you mean that melons have "conflicting" enzymes? I don't understand exactly what you mean by this or how that could be a problem.

As for aspartame, it does break down into methanol and formaldahyde, although those are only a fraction of the products of metabolization. The body should easily be able to assimilate the small quantities of those chemicals formed from reasonable consumption of aspartame. However, again, some people may be more susceptible than others, and I doubt there have been very comprehensive studies on prolonged, constant use. I feel its very possible to develop vulnerability to these things over time. Especially when you consider non-ideal circumstances such as the combination of other health-threatening food additives, or perhaps environmental factors such as formaldehyde outgassing from building insulation.

As jesusphreak said, just because splenda (sucralose) is chlorinated does not necessarily mean anything of itself. You have about a quarter-pound of chlorine already in your body, and your body needs it. But as a crude generality, chloro-organic compounds are often rather toxic (note, though, that toxicity is ALWAYS quantity dependent and relative). Since sucralose is hundreds of times sweeter than sugar, very small amounts are used (milligrams). Of that, 80 to 90% of it is excreted unchanged, and of the fraction that is absorbed, 20 - 30 % is metabolized. So chlorine is not the issue, we are actually talking about very very small amounts of an organochloride. I guess I would be a bit leery of it myself, and there have been many reports of effects such as headaches, nausea, etc.

I become increasingly distrustful of western medical doctors. If you go to them for migranes, they do not study your diet - they give you more pills which seem not to work most often, merely adding to the havoc.

Olive oil is good. You can eat olive oil. Peanut and soybean oils can be ok. Don't go near coconut oil. Fish, especially halibut, is great for you with omega-3 fatty acids. If you like cheese, swiss is among the healthiest. Nuts, especially almonds are very good for you. Eat as many tomatoes as you can stomach - good for lycopene! Did you know bell peppers have as much vitamin C as oranges? Did you know that chicken, turkey and ham all have about AS MUCH CHOLESTEROL AS BEEF? Here's the recipie for carcinogens: high-heat open flame, protein (meat), and sugar. So flame-grilling meat with a sweet marinade or sauce may increase risk of cancer.

Thanks for enduring my two-cents! :grin:
richg

Postby Rte66 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:48 am

Great Thread!!!!

We used a diet coke to clean pennies the other day as a science experiment. Aspartame (in my chewing gum) gives me terrible headaches. Have heard positive things about Xylitol as a sweetener. Tried it, wasn't sweet enough for me so I use honey for my tea now. We're looking for organic goat's milk for consumption and are thinking about looking into getting our own goat.

Many, many things need to change in the average American diet to become more healthy. .take it in steps so you don't get overwhelmed.
Rte66

Next

Return to Whatever (Almost)