The book of Enoch

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

The book of Enoch

Postby Lookfortruth on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:19 am

Hi Holly, you and Adam are doing a great job with FP!
My question is this. We are seeing a revival of the teachings found in the book of Enoch. What are your thoughts and views of this? Is this a valid part of God's word, or a distraction? Do we have any way of validating it with the accepted books of what we have come to trust as the inherent word of God? I look forward to what you think about this.
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Holly on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi Candy,

I haven't read this book. Nevertheless, it belongs to a category of books known as "Pseudepigrapha" which means "false writings." These books are claimed to be written by authors who didn't write them. In this case, it is claimed to be written by Enoch of Genesis 5, even though it wasn't actually written until about the first century B.C. When the early church faced heresies and persecution, they wanted to know which books were authoritative and worth dying for. That's when the canon was formed. The Book of Enoch was never accepted as Scripture by Catholics or Protestants. It was, however, respected by the Jews of Jesus' day, which explains why it is quoted in Jude. But the inclusion of this quotation in Scripture doesn't make the entire Book of Enoch Scripture. Consider that Paul quoted pagan writers in Acts 17, but that doesn't make their writings Scripture either.

I think books that aren't Scripture can provide helpful background to Scripture, but they certainly aren't without error. And if they distract people from a pure and simple devotion to Christ, then they could do more harm than good.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your encouragement of us.
Holly
Owner

Postby Lookfortruth on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:02 pm

Thank you Holly, I sure do not want to be distracted, especially in this late hour. It really helps to know the history behind things to keep them in perspective. It think FP is very blessed to have you here with your expertise in these areas! :a2: :a2:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Don't want to be distracted either!

Postby ToledoDebbie on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:59 am

I have studied the book of Enoch, after reading about it on this site. I did so with a open mind, but kept careful watch for any scriptural discrepencies.

I actually felt that this book answered some very big questions that I have had about Noah and the flood. I have always had a hard time understanding how the entire world could have been corrupted, to the point that God destroyed everyone except Noah and his family. How could little babies and children be corrupt??

If what is in the book of Enoch is true, it would explain why. The entire genetic bloodline of mankind had been polluted, by the fallen angels. The inhabitants of the earth were "mutated" and an abomination in the eyes of God.

This also explains the instruction God gave to the Jews to kill every man, women and child in the cities that were reported to contain giants. If the fallen angels returned to again try to pollute the genetic line, it would make perfect sense that God would use his chosen people, to destroy them.

When Jesus said that the end-times would be like in the days of Noah, could it be that Satan and his fallen angels will once again try to destroy the bloodline of man??

Worthy of contemplation - I don't dwell on it though.

Debbie
ToledoDebbie

Postby Holly on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:39 am

Debbie,

The Bible teaches that the bloodline of humanity is polluted because of sin. That has been the case ever since the fall and will continue until we receive our new bodies.
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly