Cardinals Hoping for a 5th Marian Dogma

News about humankind's turning from God.

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:43 am

To Declare Mary as Mother of Humanity

ROME, FEB. 11, 2008 (Zenit.org).- Five cardinals have sent a letter inviting prelates worldwide to join them in petitioning Benedict XVI to declare a fifth Marian dogma they said would "proclaim the full Christian truth about Mary."

The text, released last week, includes the petition that asks the Pope to proclaim Mary as "the Spiritual Mother of All Humanity, the co-redemptrix with Jesus the redeemer, mediatrix of all graces with Jesus the one mediator, and advocate with Jesus Christ on behalf of the human race."

The signatories of the letter are five of the six cardinal co-sponsors of the 2005 International Symposium on Marian Coredemption, held in Fatima: Cardinal Telesphore Toppo, archbishop of Ranchi, India; Cardinal Luis Aponte Martínez, retired archbishop of San Juan, Puerto Rico; Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil, major archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly, India; Cardinal Riccardo Vidal, archbishop of Cebu, Philippines; and Cardinal Ernesto Corripio y Ahumada, retired archbishop of Mexico City.

Cardinal Edouard Gagnon, who died last August, was the sixth cardinal co-sponsor of the 2005 conference. He was the president of the Pontifical Council of the Family from 1974 until he resigned in 1990.

The secretariat of the five cardinal co-patrons released the English translation of the letter, which includes a translation and the original Latin text of the "votum," or petition, that was formulated in 2005 and presented formally to the Pope by Cardinal Telesphore in 2006.

The petition states: "We believe the time opportune for a solemn definition of clarification regarding the constant teaching of the Church concerning the Mother of the Redeemer and her unique cooperation in the work of Redemption, as well as her subsequent roles in the distribution of grace and intercession for the human family."

Ecumenism

Pointing to ecumenical concerns, the petition continues: "It is of great importance [...] that people of other religious traditions receive the clarification on the highest level of authentic doctrinal certainty that we can provide, that the Catholic Church essentially distinguishes between the sole role of Jesus Christ, divine and human Redeemer of the world, and the unique though secondary and dependent human participation of the Mother of Christ in the great work of Redemption."

The text adds that the move would be "the ultimate expression of doctrinal clarity at the service of our Christian and non-Christian brothers and sisters who are not in communion with Rome."

In a press statement released along with the letter, the cardinal co-sponsors reiterated the same ecumenical concern and said the proclamation of a fifth Marian dogma would be a "service of clarification to other religious traditions and to proclaim the full Christian truth about Mary."

The statement added, "This initiative also intends to start an in-depth worldwide dialogue on Mary's role in salvation for our time. [...] Should this effort prove successful, a proclamation would constitute a historical event for the Church as only the fifth Marian dogma defined in its 2,000-year history."

Cardinal Aponte Martínez, one of the cardinal co-patrons said: "I believe the time is now for the papal definition of the relationship of the Mother of Jesus to the each one of us, her earthly children, in her roles as co-redemptrix, mediatrix of all graces and advocate.

"To solemnly proclaim Mary as the spiritual mother of all peoples is to fully and officially recognize her titles, and consequently to activate, to bring to new life the spiritual, intercessory functions they offer the Church for the new evangelization, and for humanity in our serious present world situation."

http://www.zenit.org/article-21749?l=english
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rudi on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 am

Abiding,
Thanks very much for posting this article.
The topic you've brought up with the link and the "institution" it surrounds has been a "hot" topic over the past two days on Constances' blog. I spent 4-5 hours yesterday reading the **** Catechism. Your link fully supports what I read, the difference would be extending the Marian Dogma to all of humanity and not just to those whose faith is in the "institution" I hesitate to post the two words identifying the "institution" as it seems to invoke a spirit reminiscent of the Pharisees and Sadducees renting their garments and gnashing their teeth at Jesus. Here is a portion of what I read yesterday. -Rudi

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P2C.HTM
Rudi
Supporting Member

Mary, ICON of the RCC

Postby True Light on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 pm

12 February 2008 / 6 Adar I 5768

Dear Abiding,

I too appreciate you bring up this important topic. Having grown up as a Catholic, the one thing that really bothered me was being accused of worshiping Mary. I would always tell my accusers that I did not worship Mary, but I did respect her as Jesus' mother.

It has been over 22 years since I left the "Church," but it has only been in the last few years that I have grown to understand why God led me out of that idolatrous religion. I just thought it was because He wanted me to join my Husband's Church, but God had a much higher purpose in mind.

:praise:

I have since discovered that the Roman Catholic Church does indeed advocate the worship of Mary, and this article from Zenit proves it even further. And is it very prophetic for the leadership of the RCC to be so open about it, considering what Time it is.

Included are some very revealing statements regarding Mary, that I have taken directly from the official Vatican documents of the "Code of Canon Law," and the "Catechism of the Catholic Church." And please note, the emphasis is mine.

"III MARY - ESCHATOLOGICAL ICON OF THE CHURCH"

"2682...May our most gracious God grant this through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of the Church, her spouse St. Joseph, Patron of the Church, and Saints Peter and Paul."

"966 Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things,"

"721...Mary, the all-holy ever-virgin Mother of God, is the masterwork of the mission of the Son and the Spirit in the fullness of time..."

"722...She was, by sheer grace, conceived without sin as the most humble of creatures, the most capable of welcoming the inexpressible gift of the Almighty."

"773...Mary goes before us all in the holiness that is the Church's mystery as 'the bride without spot or wrinkle.' This is why the 'Marian' dimension of the Church precedes the 'Petrine.' "

"2146 The second commandment forbids the abuse of God's name, i.e., every improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ, but also of the Virgin Mary and all the saints."

"2679 Mary is the perfect Orans (pray-er), a figure of the Church. When we pray to her, we are adhering with her to the plan of the Father, who sends his Son to save all men. Like the beloved disciple we welcome Jesus' mother into our homes, for she has become the mother of all the living. We can pray with and to her. The prayer of the Church is sustained by the prayer of Mary and united with it in hope."

"2677...By asking Mary to pray for us, we acknowledge ourselves to be poor sinners and we address ourselves to the 'Mother of Mercy,' the All-Holy One. We give ourselves over to her now, in the Today of our lives. And our trust broadens further, already at the present moment, to surrender 'the hour of our death' wholly to her care."

"966 Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things,"

"969...Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation....Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of 'Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.'510"

"144 To obey (from the Latin ob-audire, to 'hear or listen to') in faith is to submit freely to the word that has been heard, because its truth is guaranteed by God, who is Truth itself. Abraham is the model of such obedience offered us by Sacred Scripture. The Virgin Mary is its most perfect embodiment."

End of quotes from the official Vatican Documents.

So according to the official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church Mary is/was:

"Conceived without sin."

"Preserved free from all stain of original sin."

"Pure from all personal sin throughout her life."

"All-holy ever-virgin Mother of God."

"The "bride without spot or wrinkle."

"Most perfect embodiment."

"The Mother of the Church."

The "Queen over all things."

"The Icon of the Church."

Exalted above the Apostles of Christ.

One "we can pray with and to her."

One "we give ourselves over to!"

"The All-Holy One?!!"

One who "Goes before us all."

I hope you all are as appalled as I Am, at these statements that are advocated in the Roman Catholic Church "Laws" and "Doctrines," by the supposedly "One True Church," as they adamantly claim to be.

You know, when I joined the Baptist Church over 22 years ago, I could sense a bit of apprehensiveness towards me because they knew I came from the Roman Catholic Church. At that time, I had not actually rejected "the Church," I was just changing churches because with three children (now seven), it was getting hard to go to both. Thankfully after some of the folks got to know me, being a former Catholic, was no longer an issue. But now the barriers are completely down and even the Baptist Church is very accepting of this false religion. However, that has been foretold in the Holy Scriptures long ago too...

May God have mercy upon His people...especially those who are walking in Darkness, and know not where they are going, or where they have been.

Sincerely,
C. Read

Luke 12:49 "I Am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?"
True Light

Postby SueAnn on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 pm

I find the timimg of this petition interesting.

I was beginning to think that the pope would dilute the differences between Islam and Catholicism, as a step towards creating the one world religion.

But can you see Muslim men venerating a woman, I don't care whose mother she was!

This seems to be a a step away from merging with Islam.

Your thoughts?
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm

SueAnn wrote:But can you see Muslim men venerating a woman, I don't care whose mother she was!

This seems to be a a step away from merging with Islam.

Your thoughts?

Hi SueAnn,

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I've read that the one thing the two have in common is a veneration of Mary. I'll do a little search to verify this because I think I've read that on this board.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Here's one link I found on the board and a quote from that link:

Six Steps to Dialogue
Thirty-five years ago the Catholic Church took a dramatic stand to promote constructive, peaceful and religious relations with Muslims. First, the Catholic Church instructed Catholics how they should appreciate Muslims by promulgating these words from the Second Vatican Council in 1965:

"The church has also a high regard for the Muslims. They worship God, who is one, living and subsistent, merciful and almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has also spoken to people. They strive to submit themselves without reserve to the hidden decrees of God, just as Abraham submitted himself to God's plan, to whose faith Muslims eagerly link their own. Although not acknowledging him as God, they venerate Jesus as a prophet, his virgin mother they also honor and even at times devoutly invoke. Further, they await the day of judgment and the reward of God following the resurrection of the dead. For this reason they highly esteem an upright life and worship God, especially by way of prayer, alms deeds and fasting" (Nostra Aetate, 3).

Second, the pope (Paul VI in those days) established an office in Rome so that "no pilgrim, no matter how distant he may be, religiously or geographically, no matter his country of origin, will any longer be a complete stranger in ... Rome," and over the course of more than three decades, hundreds of Muslim pilgrims to Rome have been received as guests at that office - the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue. It was that office that planned the 1999 interreligious assembly. If you visit Rome, you not only have a place to go, but a place to be received with dignity and respect.

http://www.usccb.org/seia/brunett.shtml
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby BeTheMoon on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 pm

The statement added, "This initiative also intends to start an in-depth worldwide dialogue on Mary's role in salvation for our time. [...] Should this effort prove successful, a proclamation would constitute a historical event for the Church as only the fifth Marian dogma defined in its 2,000-year history."

Questioning the success of this endeavor proves its source IMO (man).
BeTheMoon
SITE ADMIN

Postby SueAnn on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 pm

AIHW,

<sigh> Good grief.

Thanks for posting, I think... :wink:
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:41 pm

I'll just post this one other one I found, but a search on google for "Islam and Mary" will produce many such links:

Many people may be surprised that Muslims love Mary, the mother of Jesus. In the Quran, no woman is given more attention than Mary. Mary receives the most attention of any woman mentioned in the Quran even though all the Prophets with the exception of Adam had mothers. Of the Quran's 114 chapters, she is among the eight people who have a chapter named after them. The nineteenth chapter of the Quran is named after her, Mariam. Mariam means Mary in Arabic. The third chapter in the Quran is named after her father, Imran. Chapters Mariam and Imran are among the most beautiful chapters in the Quran. Mary (peace be upon her) is the only woman specifically named in the Quran.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/galvan03.htm
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby SueAnn on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:44 pm

She might very well be a bridge to connecting the two religions.

Oh my. I did not realize we were this close to a OWR

Thank you AIHW
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby Salty Skipper on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 pm

I wonder how soon people are going to start rejecting us because we don't embrace this garbage?
Salty Skipper

Return to Apostasy Watch