"Mysterious 'Third Party'" of 11/15/05 AMA Agreeme

News about the EU and Mideast.

"Mysterious 'Third Party'" of 11/15/05 AMA Agreeme

Postby nonymouse on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Test Hamas' desire for a Gaza solution
By Hanne Foighel
Commentary by
Monday, February 25, 2008

When Israel and the Palestinian Authority - with the midwifery of US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice - forged the Agreement of Movement and Access (AMA) in November 2005 enabling the operation of the Rafah border crossing, the central partner in the agreement was kept almost secret. All through the paragraphs of the agreement a mysterious "third party" is mentioned. Only literally at the bottom line the true identity was revealed, almost laconically: the European Union.

In the current crisis at the Rafah border crossing, the Europeans are very openly a central player in not only trying to renew and reinstall the AMA but to forge a global agreement among all the stakeholders that will resolve the problems at all the Gaza borders and stop both Qassam rockets and Israeli incursions and targeted killings.

In 2005 there were only two main parties to the agreement: Israel and the PA. Egypt and the Europeans agreed to the AMA but did not sign it. Since the breach of the Rafah border on January 23 it is clear that five stakeholders will have to be part of any future solution at Rafah that the United States brokers if agreement can be reached: Israel, the Abbas-led PA government in Ramallah, Egypt, the EU and Hamas.

The most obvious problem is that not one of the three actors - the EU, Israel or the Ramallah government - holds any direct dialogue with Hamas, and it doesn't seem likely that any of the three will change their position in the near future.

(skip)

To reach this goal, the EU is working through the European foreign policy official Javier Solana to convince Arab states, mainly Egypt and Saudi Arabia, to pressure Hamas into accepting the plan presented by Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad - a plan largely similar to the above. At the same time, the US is working closely with the EU to pressure Israel into accepting its part of the deal.

(cont'd.)

Link

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:40 am

AMA Agreement:

Link

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:43 am

Israel and the EU are reaping the benefits from the ENP, for example:

• The Action Plan deepens political dialogue inter alia working together with the EU, bilaterally and as a member of the Quartet, with the objective to reach a comprehensive settlement of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict: the EU Border Assistance Mission in Rafah (whose mandate has been extended to May 2008) is the most visible example of a new area of co-operation agreed under the ENP in November 2005.

http://www.dellbn.cec.eu.int/en/pev/ENP ... ntries.pdf

Note: Might the ENPI also be considered a 7-year confirmation/strengthening of the AMA (with a “Biblical year count” possibly beginning on 11/15/05; 360-days per year, etc.).

General Affairs and External Relations Council (GAERC)
18/19 June 2007
STRENGTHENING THE EUROPEAN NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICY
PRESIDENCY PROGRESS REPORT

As mandated by the Council on 11 December 2006, this report takes stock of the political consensus achieved and the progress made in this field over the last months and identifies further practical measures necessary to intensify the ENP with success.

(skip)

The EU’s ongoing border-management operations - the EUBAMs in Ukraine/Moldova and Rafah, the EUSR Border Support Team in Georgia and the EU Police Mission in the Palestinian Territories (EUPOL COPPS) - will continue to play an important role in this regard.

Finally, a strengthened ENP could not work properly without better involving the citizens of the EU and of partner countries.

(cont'd.)

Link

What Herb Thinks Overview

(skip)Now that the French and Dutch voters have rejected the EU's new Constitution, the EU heads are facing a serious crisis. Existing treaties give the EU heads until 2009 to make certain necessary changes to the internal workings of the Union.(cont'd.)

www.fulfilledprophecy.com/2010.html

Note: The EU Parliament elections are scheduled for June '09, and a new Commission president will also be appointed in June '09 by the Council (where Dr. Solana is Sec.-Gen.): Link

Link

Link

(Thank you, Farmer.)

AMA Agreement: 11/15/05

[Note: Calculations below use 11/14/05 to include 11/15/05 in the count.]

11/14/05 + 1,260 = 04/27/09

Notes:

a) 04/28/09 is Yom HaZikaron (Israel Memorial Day), which would begin at sundown on 04/27/09: Link

b) Is it is possible that the Biblical term "midst" (Dan. 9:27) could also apply to the date 4/27/09 (with respect to the 7-year ENPI).

King James Word Usage - Total: 125
half 108, midst 8, part 4, midnight + ()03915, middle 1

Link

11/14/05 + 2,520 = 10/08/12 (Shmini Atzeret) (Note that it would technically be the end of 7 Biblical years; I.e., the beginning of an 8th year of “perfection.”)

Link

Link

What does the name "Shmini Atzeret" mean?
"Shmini" means the eighth; in general, the number eight symbolizes perfection, as it does in the case of "brit milah," the covenant of circumcision. The brit is performed on the eighth day to "complete," as it were, or to instill the potential for perfection, in the human being.

"Atzeret" means "holding back," or that which is held back for the purpose of bringing it to its state of completion. Thus, the name "Shmini Atzeret" means the eighth day which is the additional day that brings the seven-day holiday of Sukkot to its state of perfection.

http://www.ou.org/chagim/shmini-simchat/shminiwhat.htm

Note: Sundown on 10/08/12 would begin Simchat Torah ("rejoicing in the Torah"):

Link

11/14/05 + 2,595 (2,520 + 30 + 45) = 12/22/12 (the Jewish day would begin on Friday, 12/21/12, the beginning of a Biblical Sabbath) (or 1,335 days after 4/27/09, to include 4/28/09 in count):

Link

Link

Link

Notes:

a) Might the much touted astronomical alignment of 12/21/12 of the sun over the "serpent head" of the Milky Way possibly be a biblical “heavenly sign.”

b) As noted above, a Biblical Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday, 12/21/12 (see link immediately above).

c) Days will begin to get longer in Israel (located in the northern hemisphere), as it is also the winter solstice.

d) See also Dan. 12:12.

Misc. (re. AMA Agreement; quote is dated 11/23/05):

"…I want to thank you and Javier Solana, who represent the EU, and UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, who is presiding [over the EU presidency] for your contribution, your help, your participation."

Link

Also, old FP thread:
http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=25700

2cents.

Blessings,

(Edits for clarification and to shorten link.)
Last edited by nonymouse on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 am

Brussels, 15 November 2005
S365/05
Summary of remarks by Javier SOLANA, EU High Representative for the CFSP on the agreement on Rafah

In comments made today in Jerusalem at a joint press conference with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Quartet Special Envoy Jim Wolfensohn, Javier Solana, EU High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy welcomed the agreement reached earlier in the day between the parties on movement and access to and from Gaza, including the agreed principles for Rafah crossing, and stressed the EU's future role in the framework of that agreement.

"I think this is a very, very important agreement.

(cont'd.)

Link

Please also read post(s) above.

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:41 pm

P. 16 of 43:

2. The Council welcomes the Agreement on Movement and Access between the Government of Israel and the Palestinian Authority. These issues are fundamental to improving the humanitarian situation in Gaza and essential for promoting peaceful economic development. The Agreement signifies a major breakthrough. The priority now is to ensure that the commitments made in it are translated into reality. On the basis of the Agreement and the detailed planning undertaken by the EU with the parties, the Council agrees the EU should undertake the Third Party role proposed in the Agreement. (cont'd.)

Link

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 am

P. 86 of 98:

"The presence of the European Union in the control points between the Gaza Strip and Egypt is also very positive in the sense that up to the present time (the speech is dated 12/10/05, less than a month after the EU, through Dr. Solana, negotiated to be the 3rd party of the AMA agreement, on 11/15/05-nony) the Israelis and the Americans had kept the Europeans out of the negotiations in this part of the world,..."

Am not necessarily advocating 11/15/05 as a significant date with regard to Bible prophecy, just that it might be expedient to keep it in mind as a significant date with regard to the EU's (i.e., Dr. Solana's) involvement with Israel. (Thanks to Farmer for finding the document.)

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:54 am

COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES
Brussels, 29 November 2006
SEC(2006) 1507/2
COMMISSION STAFF WORKING DOCUMENT
Accompanying the :
COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE COUNCIL AND THE
EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
ON STRENGTHENING THE EUROPEAN NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICY
ENP Progress Report
Israel
{COM(2006) 726 final}

(skip)

In this context, in November 2005, Israel and the Palestinian Authority concluded an “Agreement on Movement and Access”, including agreed principles for Rafah crossing (Gaza) with the involvement of the EU as Third Party. This Agreement aimed at facilitating the movement of people and goods from and to Palestinian Territories.

(cont'd.)

http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/pdf/sec06_1507-2_en.pdf

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:12 am

A further Communication, in April 2008, will deal mainly with the implementation of ENP objectives by partner countries, and will be accompanied by ENP progress reports, country by country.

http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/strengthening_en.htm

The ENP progress report for Israel, due out this month, per above, will be Israel's first such progress report since 11/29/06 (the listing of countries was compiled on 12/4/06):

Progress Reports

Invitation to contribute information to the ENP Progress reports [14 KB] - Deadline 20 January 2008

Progress reports on implementation of the European Neighbourhood Policy, 4 December 2006
Overall assessment [37 KB] , Sectoral progress [36 KB] , Ukraine [72 KB] , Moldova [62 KB] , Israel [67 KB] , Jordan [58 KB] , Palestinian Authority [36 KB] , Tunisia [59 KB] , Morocco [72 KB]
European Neighbourhood Policy: A year of progress Press release, 24 November 2005
Communication to the Commission [68 KB] : Implementing and promoting the European Neighbourhood Policy, 22 November 2005

http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/documents_en.htm

Israel's report, dated 11/29/06:

http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/pdf/sec06_1507-2_en.pdf

May be neither here nor there, but April 2009 is the "mid-point," if days are counted from 11/15/05, the AMA agreement date. (Which doesn't discount the very strong likelihood that the AoD, if Bible prophecy is, indeed, being fulfilled, will occur mid-2010.)

Blessings,
Last edited by nonymouse on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:50 am

P.S. Israel's forthcoming progress report will have been issued approximately 17 months after the last one, dated 11/29/06 (or 503 days Link , calculated using 4/15/08 for end date). If the EU were to take the same amount of time to issue the next report, it would be issued around the beginning of Sept. '09 (an AoC implementation date):

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6308
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Following is an excerpt from a speech Dr. Solana gave to the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the European Parliament on 4/8/08. Note how the Rafah crossing is mentioned near the top of issues concerning the M.E. It seems to be a fairly typical style for Dr. Solana, as if he uses it as a sort of "touchstone," if you will, to determine the general state of current affairs in the M.E. and to make projections for future peace (which may be neither here nor there):

(p. 4 of 9)

Now let me move on to the Middle East. The last time I was with you - in the plenary session - it was a very bad week, with violence in Gaza, and I had the opportunity to explain to you what was going on, what we were doing in cooperation with the Egyptians to restore calm in Gaza and in the zone in general.

Since then, the situation has calmed down but the issues have not been resolved. A solution has not been found for the Rafah crossing point or for the other two crossing points. But, politically, I think an important meeting took place yesterday. For the first time there was a meeting between Prime Minister Olmert and President Abbas together with Foreign Minister Livni and Abu Ala, the Palestinian negotiator. I do think that we still have a chance to move the process to a settlement before the end of 2008. I don't want to sound too optimistic, I want to sound realistic at this point in time, and hope that still we have a chance to move the process forward.

The situation is not resolved as far as Gaza is concerned but I think it is more relaxed than it was and I believe and very much hope that with all our efforts, including with our Egyptian friends, we can have a period of calm in Gaza which could also help move forward the bilateral negotiations
which, as you know, have been stuck. I will be going to the region again soon and I look forward to reporting back to you on the progress there.

The 2nd of May is an important date as the Ad-hoc Liaison Committee and the Quartet will meet in London. I will be very happy to return around the middle of May and give you my impression of how we approach the summer period. I think we have still a window of opportunity until, let us say, the end the summer but if we are not able to move the process forward in a dynamic manner by then maybe we will have to begin to think that the possibility of an agreement in 2008 will be farther
away from our hopes.

Let me say a word about Lebanon. As you know, the Arab League Summit was held last Sunday. It was not a summit that we can call a success. It was not a failure either, but I think it was a failure as far as Lebanon is concerned. The president has still not been elected and the situation continues to be very difficult. We must make every effort on our side to continue to push for the presidential election in Lebanon to be held. It has been postponed for the 17th time. This cannot continue and I would very much like your support on that situation also.

Link

2cents.

Blessings,

(Edit to add page no.)
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby crmann on Thu May 08, 2008 9:51 am

Nony.....

I have to say...

You've certainly done your homework..

And good homework at that....

Blessings,

The Old Timer
crmann

Postby nonymouse on Sat May 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Rafah Border Crossing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Rafah Border Crossing (Arabic: تقاطع حدود رفح‎, Hebrew: מעבר רפיח‎) is an international border crossing between Egyptian and Palestinian-controlled Rafah. It was built by the Israeli and Egyptian governments after the 1979 Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty and 1982 Israeli withdrawal from the Sinai Peninsula, and was managed by the Israel Airports Authority until it was evacuated on 11 September 2005 as part of Israel's unilateral disengagement plan. It has since become the mission of the European Union Border Assistance Mission Rafah (EUBAM) to monitor the crossing.

(cont'd.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafah_Border_Crossing

Perhaps the reason Dr. Solana wished to be as inconspicuous as possible (i.e., "mysterious third party") in the 11/15/05 AMA Agreement was because to be open risked a clear EU association with the Israeli Gaza Disengagement Plan, executed just 2 months prior.

2cents.

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Fwiw, not only did the signing of the AMA agreement take place on 11/15/05, but the Council of the EU (where Dr. Solana is Secretary-General) established EUPOL COPPS on 11/14/05 (which, in terms of the Jewish day sundown-to-sundown) could possibly coincide with the signing of the AMA agrement on 11/15/05, which established EU oversight of the Rafah crossing:

On 14 November 2005, the Council established an EU Police Mission in the Palestinian Territories under the European Security and Defence Policy. The operational phase started on 1 January 2006 and will have an initial duration of 3 years. The EU Police Mission for the Palestinian Territories, code-named EUPOL COPPS, has a long term reform focus and provides enhanced support to the Palestinian Authority in establishing sustainable and effective policing arrangements.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/cms3_fo/ ... 74&lang=EN

Legal Basis:

Council Joint Action 2005/797/CFSP of 14 November 2005 on the European Union Police Mission for the Palestinian Territories

Link

[Also, although the Rafah Crossing is temporarily suspended, the official EU Rafah Crossing website is somewhat interesting (see cover photo and click on map to enlarge; note also all the different flags at the bottom): http://www.eubam-rafah.eu/portal/ ]

Blessings,
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:15 pm

P.S. Fwiw, note the close proximity of the Gaza Airport to the Rafah Crossing.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:12 pm

At risk of overdoing it, noticed something else curious about the EU Rafah Crossing website. In the upper right hand corner of the main webpage is the word "eye," spelled out using English, Hebrew and Arabic letters. Below, there is an insignia with a circle of 12 stars (no doubt, representing the EU), over an green (olive) branch with a Latin inscription.

Blessings,

(Edit for corrections.)
Last edited by nonymouse on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:15 pm

:eek:

Nony, I clicked on it and assuming we are talking about the same thing, this is what it looks like enlarged.

http://www.eubam-rafah.eu/portal/ar/node/381

I wonder what those words around the bottom mean.
AndCanItBe

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 pm

"ad pacem" means towards peace...pretty sure.

I enlarged it and it seems like the last word is "edificandam"

:dunno:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: "Mysterious 'Third Party'" of 11/15/05 AMA Agreeme

Postby nonymouse on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Call yours truly suspicious, but found the following on the "Press Releases" link of the EU Rafah Crossing website, albeit a bit dated. Seems odd that a 6-mo. extension of a Middle East EU mission should be adopted under the auspices of an Agriculture and Fisheries Council meeting. Went to the good doctor's May '08 agenda webpage for clarification, to no avail, Link:

Council extends mandate of EUBAM Rafah mission, 19 May 2008

(Extract from the 2867th AGRICULTURE and FISHERIES Council meeting of 19 May 2008, p. 11)

The Council adopted on 19 May 2008, a joint action amending joint action 2005/889/CFSP extending until 24 November 2008 the mandate of the EU Border Assistance Mission for the Rafah crossing point between Gaza and Egypt (EUBAM Rafah).

The Council established the mission on 25 November 2005. The aim of EU BAM Rafah is to provide a third party presence at the Rafah Crossing Point between Gaza and Egypt in order to contribute, in co-operation with the European Community's institution building efforts, to the implementation of the Israeli-Palestinian Agreement on Movement and Access, ensuring the opening of the Rafah Crossing Point, and to build up confidence between the parties.

Due to the situation in Gaza, the mission is currently on stand-by, but the EU has expressed its readiness to resume its activities as soon as circumstances permit and in agreement with the parties.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/cms3_fo/ ... 21&lang=en

Which is not to say that the above is of any particular significance.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am

Forgive me for bringing the thread up again, but ever since Egypt started "personalizing" the Rafah Crossing by associating it with Shalit (the Israeli soldier captured and held by Hamas), have been bothered. Note the following:

1) The recent International Herald Tribune opinion piece (posted by Holly on 8/26/08) advocating that Dr. Solana take over Israeli-Palestinian negotiations from the U.S., Nov. '08 through March/April of '09 Link and Link, highlights April 2009, which is the exact mid-point of seven Biblical years as counted from Nov. 15, 2005 (which in no way negates Herb's info.; see above).

2) Egypt (likely "King of the South") also recently withdrew its ambassadors from the EU, indicative of growing tensions between the EU and Egypt (not to mention Russia) Link .

Egypt: Rafah Closed till Shalit's Release
CBNNews.com
August 15, 2008

CBNNews.com - CAIRO, Egypt - The Egyptian government says the Rafah border crossing will remain closed until Hamas releases Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Corporal Gilad Shalit.

(cont'd.)

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/428661.aspx

(Edited for brevity).
Last edited by nonymouse on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 pm

I read this earlier today;

http://tinyurl.com/5jqanb

Egypt opens Gaza border for two days

Brenda
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby nonymouse on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:40 pm

P.S. April 2009 would be just before the EU June '09 elections, a time when things would be "winding down" (as they are for the Bush admin.), which might create circumstances favorable to a potential takeover by the 10-nation WEU (in the event of a declared emergency).
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby RomaLynnStar on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 pm

Great work nony. Very interesting information.
RomaLynnStar

Postby nonymouse on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:46 pm

Take the following with a modicum of salt, but note the following possibilities, re. the spring of '09:

- Sen. Biden warns of test for the American public to "trust," within 6-mo.'s, if Democrats take the White House (Colin Powell issued the same warning):
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar ... uppor.html

- Abbas says will refuse to step down as P.A. pres. (Jan. '09); rival Hamas not happy with prospect.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 2FShowFull

- The Palestinian Authority ( P.A.) has been given security control over more Israeli cities in the West Bank, which could become problematic should Pres. Abbas' authority be challenged: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 2FShowFull]

- (April/May) NATO 60th anniversary; Sec.-Gen. may be replaced soon afterwards, as incumbent will be 1-year over his 4-year term (transitions are historically known to be times of vulnerability).
http://www.nato.int/cv/secgen.htm
http://ipb.org/i/latest-news/18-latest- ... -2009.html

- At least one analyst thinks the market(s) will crash by the spring '09: http://seekingalpha.com/article/69047-t ... leveraging

- LHC (Collider) due to restart in April '09, which may or may not be pertinent (i.e., computing power, etc.).
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inane/5797

- E.U. elections/appointments are due in June, which, due to non-ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, requires using the outdated Nice Treaty, which may render the elections/appointments difficult (again, transitions are historically known to be times of vulnerability).

Interview
Danish PM warns against 'abuse' of crisis
Published: Monday 3 November 2008

(skip)

Q: Let's look at next year's European elections. It seems likely, given the situation in Ireland, that they will be fought on the basis of the Nice rather than the Lisbon treaty. Do you think this is a major problem for Europe?

A: Well, I strongly regret that the Lisbon Treaty was rejected in Ireland because we need that treaty – it is more democratic, more transparent and more directed towards citizens than the current Nice Treaty. It would provide us with a more efficient decision-making process, and last but not least, the instruments necessary to give the EU a stronger role internationally.

Of course, we have to respect the outcome of the Irish referendum. If Ireland can't find a solution before the elections, then they must take place on the basis of Nice. We know this is possible under Nice, but it is a weaker treaty than Lisbon.

Q: You mentioned Ireland: there appear to be strong parallels between Ireland and Denmark in terms of past referendum defeats and various European issues. Do you think a Danish-style solution could be mooted for the Irish Lisbon dilemma?

A: While we do respect the outcome of the Irish referendum, this also means that we expect the Irish government to present ideas for a solution.

Whether they will choose a Danish solution, with a number of opt-outs, or whether they will prefer other solutions, is up to them. I won't interfere in the internal situation in Ireland.

Q: The most likely scenario currently seems to be a second referendum in the autumn of 2009, allowing for the potential extension of the current European Commission's mandate.

A: It's a bit complicated. The question is whether there is a legal basis for an extension. I don't know myself – it's up to the legal experts to elaborate on that. Otherwise we have to appoint a new Commission on the basis of the Nice Treaty, which is also very complicated. We should remind everybody that according to Nice, we have to reduce the number of commissioners from 1 November 2009, so that the number of commissioners is less than the number of member states.

That's a paradox, because one of the arguments in Ireland against the Lisbon Treaty was the reduction in the number of commissioners, which would have been introduced in 2014. Now, because they were against, they may get it already in 2009!

But the Nice Treaty does not specify by how many commissioners and according to which principle of rotation among member states the reduction should take place. So the appointment of a new Commission can take place on the basis of Nice, but it would be very complicated and a decision has to be taken unanimously so I foresee very complicated negotiations during the spring of next year.

(cont'd.)

http://www.euractiv.com/en/eu-elections ... cle-176888

The French presidency has proposed extending its power into 2009, either through a) an extension of their 6-mo. EU presidency (the Czech Republic is having political problems), and/or b) presidency of the eurozone. France has been very cooperative with, and supportive of, Dr. Solana's agendas (i.e., EU military build-up, etc.).

Still believe the spring of 2010 is a stronger possibility but felt would be remiss not to post the above.

(Edit for clarification.)
Last edited by nonymouse on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby crmann on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank you, Nony....

It took you a long time and a lot of work to prepare this information for we here at FP.

It will take me a while to absorb what you have presented....

And now, we have President Obama entering the picture. A new chapter of the story...

Blessings,

The Old Timer
crmann

Postby nonymouse on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 pm

fwiw (HLS is Homeland Security):

U.S. & EU HLS Communications Interoperability Markets & Technology Forecast - 2008-2012
12.15.07 |

Publication: 12/2007, Pages: 165 Figures: 35, Tables: 39, Price: $4,950.00

http://www.homelandsecurityresearch.net ... 2008-2012/
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Although previously posted the following articles in other forums, it may be important to consider the possible ramifications contained therein:

'New global order' begins
Summit agrees to far-reaching changes in world economic rules
Sunday, November 16, 2008
By Glenn Kessler and Anthony Faiola, The Washington Post

WASHINGTON -- World leaders holding an emergency meeting to combat the economic crisis agreed yesterday to a far-reaching action plan that, over the next 4 1/2 months, would begin to reshape international financial institutions and reform worldwide regulatory and accounting rules.

(cont'd.)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08321/928422-82.stm

4 1/2 months from 11/15/08 is April 2009.

Note that a cashless system to fight terrorism has been implicitly suggested:

"Report: Terrorists Use Cash, Avoid Financial Ties"

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > POLITICS
Report: Terroists Use Cash, Avoid Financial Ties
Saturday, November 08, 2008

WASHINGTON — The international system for tracking and cutting off terrorist financing has achieved major successes but is fraying seven years after the Sept. 11 attacks, two former Treasury Department officials report. Some U.S. allies in the fight against terrorism pose the weakest links.

(cont'd.)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449108,00.html

Given that Dr. Solana and close friend, Spain's P.M. Zapatero (apparently a rising "financial star," due to Spain weathering the global financial crisis rather well, as well as the fact that he is a co-sponsor of the AoC), are both socialists, it may be prudent to keep a close eye on the duo, come April 2009 (P.M. Zapatero may play a leading role at the next international financial crisis summit; should Dr. Solana pay a visit to Israel, take note). P.M. Zapatero recently predicted the financial demise of the "Big 3," France, Germany and Great Britain:

He [Zapatero] predicts total crash for USA and Britian - France & Germany - in the next few months.

http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=c ... 066#939579

Some Bible prophecy scholars believe that the EU "Big 3" (France, Germany and Great Britain) may be the "3 horns" that the "little horn" subdues in the Book of Daniel [the "Big 3" are each one of the 10 full members of the Western European Union (WEU)].

In light of the recent, horrific terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India, pressure for a solution will be great at the next international financial crisis summit.

May the Lord have mercy.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby nonymouse on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:34 pm

Do not like to use Palestinian and/or Arab news sources (and would normally ignore the following), but given that some Jewish groups in Europe appear to be endorsing same, believe it may be notable:

“No New EU-Israel Action Plan in April 2009!”
Posted by StopTheWall on Wed, 07/09/2008 - 13:33

On the fourth anniversary of the International Court of Justice’s ruling that Israel’s Wall is illegal, the BNC is calling on the EU not to upgrade its relationship with Israel and to suspend the EU Association Agreement. Today’s call is supported by 100 European civil society organizations. Join in the campaign for the suspension of the EU-Israel Association Agreement!

(skip)

April 2009 should not see a new common action plan with in the EU-Israel Association Agreement, but a suspension of the Agreement altogether. (cont'd.)

Warning: The article is very anti-Israel and do not recommend reading. http://www.bdsmovement.net/?q=node/179

Given that P.A. Pres. Abbas' authority may be contested come January '09 ( Link ), the IDF is preparing for possible violence, and that:

The new U.S. president will first have to get his senior officials confirmed by Congress, and a foreign policy review, before he begins any major policy initiative. As a result, we should expect a time-out for any active American involvement in the Middle East peace process between the end of this year and at least March or April 2009.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/26/ ... erthes.php

Believe there exists the possibility of a power vacuum in the West Bank, come April 2009. Should the EU move to fill the vacuum, Dr. Solana may well be caught "in the middle" between Israel and Palestinians unhappy over 1) the new, upgraded EU Action Plan w/Israel, and 2) a P.A. president who some will believe to have overstayed his term limits.

2 cents.

Update 12/16/08: "Abbas Wants Palestinian Elections in April," http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews ... 0720081125

Also:

There will be a "first-of-its-kind meeting between Israel's prime minister and all the leaders of the EU member states in Brussels this April:"

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1044840.html

"Spain's Jewish Problem"

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/3719
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Return to EU Beast/Mid-East Watch